Washing machine in bathroom cupboard

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthio

Reaction score
Hi guys.  Sorry if this a daft question...I live in a bungalow. With limited space in the kitchen, I was wondering whether I can have a washing machine in my bathroom cupboard and if so what regs would I have to adhere to.  The cupboard has an independent door but lies adjacent to the bath and does contain some water pipes to feed the shower (over bath).  I understand that you can’t have sockets in the bathroom so would have to be sited elsewhere.  Any help gratefully received.  Thank you

And an RCD  would be good !   

Places like Australia have sockets , makes you wonder sometimes . 
Yep, had that discussion with my Australian BIL. He could not understand why we don't have sockets in bathrooms. I told him the Brits are so stupid that someone would walk into the shower while holding the hair dryer that was plugged in,.  His reply "If they are that bloody stupid they deserve to die"

Typical Australian shower rooms:

View attachment 4174

View attachment 4177

Last edited by a moderator:
 I personally agree with that outlook. It's over-protection that kills off common sense.

However the UK ban on bathroom sockets well pre-dates the modern idiot-proofing apparently caused by H&S legislation.

Does anyone know why the UK ruling originated? Continental countries I've travelled to all seem to have sockets for hair-dryers, etc. in hotel room bathrooms.

I recall when I was a boy of hearing stories of people taking an electric heater into the bathroom and standing on the side of the bath, and it fell in with predictable results.

Of course this mostly pre dated central heating so bathrooms were cold places in winter.

Where does it say you can't have a socket in a bathroom

701.512.3 gives descriptions of what is or isn't permissible within the zones and in relation to sockets what is not permitted within 3m of Zone1. 

(That reg has been around since the Red 2008 17th ed).

Prior to that it was the old 3 zone arrangement where 601-08-xx gave definitions of what's allowed in each zone and the old zone 3 went to 3m from the edge of zone 1. 

So as Murdoch states, there is no regulation saying you cannot have a socket in a room containing a bath or shower.

But there are limitations by zones and with the average size of the typical bathroom, it is the zoning arrangements that prohibits a standard 13A socket within most bathrooms.

Guinness

I recall when I was a boy of hearing stories of people taking an electric heater into the bathroom and standing on the side of the bath, and it fell in with predictable results.

Of course this mostly pre dated central heating so bathrooms were cold places in winter.
A couple of observations to this .   I have two customers who have a fan heater in their bathrooms , plugged into a landing socket ,  flex passes under the door. 

I can only , I advised against it on both counts , thats all I can do .  

Also remember  a fatal accident with a  youngster who ,  wanting to watch a match during  one of the World Cups ,  had an extension lead to a TV set sitting on the soap rack across the bath .  

It fell in with fatal results.

You cannot rule against the  stupidity or naivety of people  .      In general people think , " I want to plug this in , in my bathroom  ,  why is there never a plug in bathrooms  how stupid,  I'll have to run an extension lead "     People do what they want . 

When they should be thinking  " Theres never a plug in a bathroom  I wonder why "  

Hum ... the 18th edition made rcds compulsory for lighting circuits ...... why ?
Hadn't that virtually kicked in before  ,  to cover the buried cables Reg . ? 

I was asked to install a socket in a bathroom for a washing machine. I refused.

When I went back to do another job, the WM was in it's place alongside the bath.  They had drilled a hole through a wall, pushed the flex through, put the plug back on, and it was plugged in in the adjacent room.

Had there been an accident in there  it would be classed as stupidity  and accidental death  or death by misadventure.

If you'd have installed it it would be professional negligence , incompetence .  etc. 

I was in Germany this week and my hotel room had 2 sockets, one was by the bathroom sink. Used it for charging electronics and I'm still here!