External Power Requirements - help needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modeno65

Reaction score
Hi All - new to this forum

I am currently re-doing my back garden completely ie fence, decking, slabs etc and will very soon be at the stage to put power into the area but I am in need of advice as I know very little on the electrics side and don't want to get ripped off.

Basically i will need sockets to power LED strip lights, decking lights and a hot tub (inflatable type) - 6 sockets minimum in 3 areas - all within 7m of the house.

I have been told off a friend NOT to spur off existing internal sockets but instead to fit a weatherproof consumer unit. There is a slight issue in feeding this due to the position of the existing CU and concrete floors.

My questions are:

Is the outside CU the best way to go?

Any recommendations / advice on the materials I will require

Also I want the lights to be on a remote control / wifi / timer plug so i am assuming i will have to house the sockets in  a weatherproof box - again advice would be useful

Cheers in advance

This is a significant piece of work and to impart all the knowledge and advice you are seeking would take forever given that you acknowledge that you 'know very little on the electrics side'.

To avoid getting ripped off get detailed quotes from at least three electricians - and do it soon before the other work progresses too far and hinders the installation of the electrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - am sorting quotes as we speak.  

Im competent at most aspects of DIY (with guidance) but although i understand the basics of what i need I havent touched electrics before bar changing a fuse.. 

Basically - is it preferable to install an outside CU so as to safely put in outside electrics - I dont want  to risk any problems with the existing internal electrics. Otherwise it would be like having extension cables everywhere

Thanks

You don’t want to utilise existing with the set up you want as it could cause more head aches than worth.  

Dies existing CU have any spare ways? What is the route from existing to outside? 

Have you any out buildings that could house new cu? Can you post a pic hand drawn if needed of layouts proposed? 

Anything is possible just may be inconvenient or expensive or both?? 

Thanks - am sorting quotes as we speak.  

Im competent at most aspects of DIY (with guidance) but although i understand the basics of what i need I havent touched electrics before bar changing a fuse.. 

Basically - is it preferable to install an outside CU so as to safely put in outside electrics - I dont want  to risk any problems with the existing internal electrics. Otherwise it would be like having extension cables everywhere

Thanks

I would see what your quotes say when they come back...

ENSURE they are written quotes, including a description of what the quote covers.  

(not just a bland "garden wiring" @ £1000)

AND as well as the electrical certificate covering the design/install/test of the wiring,  (depending upon whereabout in the UK you are), 

this will most probably also require a building regulations compliance certificate to be issued to show Part-P compliance.

Your question about what is the preferred method is completely impossible to answer without any site visit or knowledge of the current supply characteristics.

There is always multiple ways every electrical job can be designed and installed to achieve the same objective..

and numerous factors will be considered by whoever does the work...

Bit like asking... what's the preferred method of getting to London?

Car/Train/Taxi/Coach/Plane/Motorbike/Boat??

All depends on how far away and what transport networks are local to your starting point. 

:popcorn

Your proposed work has multiple points to consider...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK as per commenst above, but if cable run for an independent cct is difficult from existing CU, then a spur off the sockets is possible, although not ideal. Needless to say garden electrics are a bit prone to damp and could trip out your socket cct (this shouldn't happen if installed correctly but....) so a mini CU isn't a bad idea as this will have a double pole isolator, so any issues you can shut the outdoor electrics down. You also need to consdier earthing arrangements for the blow up jacuzzi, which is a serious issue should it be done wrong. As far as electricans are concerned these devices are the work of Beelzebub....difficult to properly protect.