Smart Meter survey .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Results of an ECA  survey on smart meters  in the ECN Magazine .  

Don't how many were in the survey or what questions were asked . 

7% Claim reduced bills .

9% Claim increased bills.

23% Said main reason for fitting was to reduce bills.

47%  Unlikely to have SM fitted in the next 12 months.

20%  Fairly unlikely.

5%   Very likely.

13%  Fairly likely.

61%  Had no issues with SMs 

45%  Found no benefits from having a SM .

29%  Claimed more accurate readings . 

The government claim that SMs will play a role in stimulating a lower carbon future :C  

I would be interested in learning what control , if any, there is over the power company  remotely adjusting  a smart meter  tariff without your knowledge.          Scottish Power are pushing us every month to change . 

Is there a readout on them ?   If I wanted to run a calibration check , say , run a 1KW  load for 1 hour and see how it reads ?  

The latest smart meter advert I saw last night claiming it is an essential part of solving global warming, I believe needs investigating by the ASA.  I would complain about it to them if I knew how.

Why can't they be honest and say the reason for them is half hourly metering so we can be charged more at peak times of the day and that might bully us into cooking our dinner at a different time of day and save the grid from collapse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't they be honest and say the reason for them is half hourly metering so we can be charged more at peak times of the day
Where does that come from  Dave  ?      If I'm forced into accepting SMs   I would want some questions answering .    

I've written to MPs in the past about stuff ..  ( had a reply from  HM Treasury  when the CIS scheme was forced upon us)   etc  .  Trouble is our present MP never answers ..useless twit ,  can't vote him out due to a change in the demographics of the area. 

I like this  Sharpie  ...who are the ASA  ? 

Where does that come from  Dave  ?      If I'm forced into accepting SMs   I would want some questions answering .    

I've written to MPs in the past about stuff ..  ( had a reply from  HM Treasury  when the CIS scheme was forced upon us)   etc  .  Trouble is our present MP never answers ..useless twit ,  can't vote him out due to a change in the demographics of the area. 

I like this  Sharpie  ...who are the ASA  ? 

advertising standards authority

ive already submitted my complaint...

Me too my complaint has just been sent. the first time any advert has incensed me enough to do that.

The half hourly metering is the reason they are being rolled out, but nobody wants to tell you that because you might decide you don't want to be charged 30p per KWh to cook your dinner at 6PM so you might decide you don';t want a smart meter after all.

Bottom line is that it is almost impossible to compare any 2 periods of household usage ..... unless you do the same things everyday , the weather is identical and if you don’t go away or entertain. 

Say no to smart meters

Complaint submitted    ..V. Meldrew. 

Regarding savings or cheaper power ,       its like saying  Deke uses less diesel than Sidey .       Sidey probably has his own pump  while   Deke uses a tank full per month .   

7% Claim reduced bills .

20%  Fairly unlikely.

5%   Very likely.

13%  Fairly likely.

that lot adds up to 259 so all these are meaningless numbers  ..........did the ECA use Diane Abbots calculator?

7% Claim reduced bills .

61% had no idea of the impact

20%  Fairly unlikely.

5%   Very likely.

13%  Fairly likely.

15% can't decide/can't be bothered

39% HAD issues with SM's

25% had no ideas 

My guesstimate of what these numbers may actually mean!

there's more than 1 question, although i doubt any of them add upto 100% so some answers must be missing

which means they ARE meaningless ......... see my guesstimates above!

got an email from ASA earlier...

Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) about Smart Energy GB.

We are already investigating this ad and your complaint will be added to our file.  We shall let you know the final outcome once our investigation has been completed.

Thank you for your patience.

Latest posts