New Rabbit Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello and thanks for posting!

Lets start basic and ask if you've had a rabbit before and what have you already sourced (cage food etc?)

Is it male or female?

Had a rabbit a long time ago

we have bought today

Hutch

Water Bottle

Sawdust

Hay

food, Pellets recommended by pets at home

by the way, its female

Had a rabbit a long time agowe have bought today

Hutch

Water Bottle

Sawdust

Hay

food, Pellets recommended by pets at home

by the way, its female
pelleted food is the best as they cannot sort it and get a balanced diet :)

need access to clean fresh water :)

Hay is great as a bedding and keep their teeth worn down (rabbits are lagomorphs, not rodents, and their teeth grow throughout life) :)

Sawdust is good as a bedding - change it at least weekly:)

Greens and carrots add variety to your bunny's diet but introduce slowly and feed regularly to avoid upsetting the stomach (half a cabbage once a month is bad!) :)

I prefer male rabbits. Females go moody in the spring and start nesting etc. You can have them spayed to stop this. Surgery in rabbits carries a moderate risk :|

There are good vaccines available for myxomatosis and VHD - do you get wild rabbits in your garden? :|

You can worm rabbits and they suffer a strange parasite E Cuniculi and a once or twice yearly course of wormer may be required! This is a newish disease and we are still learning about it. If you have another rabbit with the disease we'd treat the healthy one. Some people recommend yearly worming, some twice yearly.

Anything else you want to know?

Patch,

My neighbour has been given a 11 month old(ish) female rabbit, and she was wondering how often she should be feeding it?

eg 1 bowl full of the 'flakes' food a day plus little bits of veg

TY.

. :D

Patch,My neighbour has been given a 11 month old(ish) female rabbit, and she was wondering how often she should be feeding it?

eg 1 bowl full of the 'flakes' food a day plus little bits of veg

TY.

. :D
There should be food available at all times. Rabbits are designed to eat all day long. If it gets fat then restrict the pelleted food but make sure there's nice hay available at all times.

Vegetables add variety to the diet but little and often. A sudden influx of cabbage once a month plays havoc with their delicate digestive system.

Always, always always feed a pelleted feed (where it all looks the same) rather than a museli (mix of all sorts). This way the rabbit can't sort the food and gets a balanced diet.

:D

There should be food available at all times. Rabbits are designed to eat all day long. If it gets fat then restrict the pelleted food but make sure there's nice hay available at all times.Vegetables add variety to the diet but little and often. A sudden influx of cabbage once a month plays havoc with their delicate digestive system.

Always, always always feed a pelleted feed (where it all looks the same) rather than a museli (mix of all sorts). This way the rabbit can't sort the food and gets a balanced diet.

Thank you me dear:x

I think thats what she being fed now, flakey stuff neighbour said.

I'll txt her your info later, or shout it over the wall.

You want this type of thing

I quote:

Rabbits, just like us can be fussy eaters and can be prone to eating only the parts of a traditional muesli food that they like, which can result in your rabbit not receiving a balanced diet. Pets at Home Junior Rabbit Food Nuggets are a great choice, with all the essential nutrition of a muesli food blended into one tasty nugget.Your rabbit

You want this type of thingI quote:

cow vets know some stuff about bunnies :D
Seems cow vets know a lot of things, including electrics, anything else your good at?

And no thats not meant in a rude way before the comments start to flow:|

Seems cow vets know a lot of things, including electrics, anything else your good at? And no thats not meant in a rude way before the comments start to flow:|
I can cook? Make a mean banana cake! :)

I am making some little oak bookcases for my gf's reading books. :)

I'm an 'advanced motorist'

Latest posts