apprentice laid off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas123

Reaction score
I've heard off numerous people that employers cannot lay off apprentices without finding them another placement? Is this true?

Thanks,

An employer can pay an apprentice off if no work for example, all the do is contact the relevent training officer. Then the apprentice gets put on to a list with lots more apprentices looking for work.

Yes - the empolyer can lay off an apprentice

The training co-ordinator (SJIB) have procedures to follow, all the employer has to do is follow due diligance (be fair and honest)

When I was an Apprentice, Amicus (as they were called at the time) claimed that an Apprentice could not be laid off unless the employer paid their wages for the remainder of the entire four year Apprenticeship, owing to the Contract signed by the employer and Apprentice.

Does the OP have a contract? What are the terms?
Presuming that it is the JIB Apprenticeship Scheme, the Contract declares that the employer will pay the JIB Rate of Pay and that they will maintain them for the duration of the Apprenticeship.

This is all in the contract, although I am well aware that the contractual obligations on the part of the employer are largely ignored. If, however, the poster is a Union member (Unite (Amicus Section)) then he/she should seek advice from them.

I've heard off numerous people that employers cannot lay off apprentices without finding them another placement? Is this true?Thanks,
No its not true.

All employers will have to do their best to provide alternative training, this would normally be passed on to the training scheme.

No employer would be expected to suffer financial losses by the employment of an apprentice.

There are or was some contracts that would make the employer to obligate their commitment for at least that year, but I would doubt any claim could be made against an employer if he or she proves financial difficulty.