Economy 7

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogart

Reaction score
Hi

Have just joined and tried to follow the info to edit my profile to let people know a bit about me. Unfortunately say I am not allowed to edit my profile, seems a bit strange but as it is.

I am not one of these people who join a forum get answers to a question then disappear off into the ether. Will admit probably not be on here like some folks are on certain forums, but each to their own.

Anyway I decided to join as I need a s[ecific bit of info. One of my daughters decided to do away with her economy 7 arrangement, against my advice. When she moved in she had storage heaters which have since been removed.

Before the meter change I disconnected the wiring from the night time CU and put it into the normal rate CU, plenty of spare ways, so now she has 3 more sockets dotted around the place. This now left only the HW night time rate wiring in

the 2nd CU. As it turns out after getting the meter changed her hot water does not work, can only get any by using the boost switch. Now to my mind it looks as if the nightime setup has been discarded. 

. What I notice is that there are 2 neutrals disappearing off into the flat but only one live.  Should there then in this case not be 2 lives? Cannot see anywhere to add an attachment and the link thingy does not seem to work so here is the link tot he meter setup.

https://ibb.co/1vS35J3

Hope this made sense.

Sounds like the meter is now only 24 x 7

So ... you will need to identify which circuit controls the (probably lower) element and add a timer so the immersion isn’t on 24 x7 

if if you are not a spark you will probably need one with competence and test kit

I know which circuit does the main HW as it is now the only one coming from the 2nd CU, ie old night rate  one. It was just the presence of the 2 neutrals that I found a bit strange. I may suggest she does away with the 2nd CU and I will

wire the main HW circuit into the 1st CU.

I know which circuit does the main HW as it is now the only one coming from the 2nd CU, ie old night rate  one. It was just the presence of the 2 neutrals that I found a bit strange. I may suggest she does away with the 2nd CU and I will

wire the main HW circuit into the 1st CU.

But what about the extra sockets around the house?

As above, the "off peak" immersion needs to be connected via a timer to the main CU.

Yes it can sometimes be handy to re use old redundant storage heater points as additional radial wired socket outlets.  Make sure the MCB rating is appropriate foir a radial circuit.

The meter man will have removed the old off peak L as there is no longer anything to feed it.  And your spark when removing the old off peak CU can remove the redundant neutral to tidy things up.

If she has removed the storage heaters, how is she now heating the house?

Just leave each socket on its own mcb in the 1st CU. If we keep the second CU I will run a live feed to it , am assuming one of the neutrals goes there anyway, from the terminal block, bottom right in photo and then switch the 3 single sockets back to this CU.

As above, the "off peak" immersion needs to be connected via a timer to the main CU.

Yes it can sometimes be handy to re use old redundant storage heater points as additional radial wired socket outlets.  Make sure the MCB rating is appropriate foir a radial circuit.

The meter man will have removed the old off peak L as there is no longer anything to feed it.  And your spark when removing the old off peak CU can remove the redundant neutral to tidy things up.

If she has removed the storage heaters, how is she now heating the house?

" Your spark" lol ie moi. She has fitted panel heaters.  The 3 sockets are fed from 20A mcbs the ones that fed the storage rads. Both her and her lodger are out all day so to some extent defeats the object of having storage radiators anyway.

Have just spoken to my daughter and the guy did not touch the CUs so how has he removed the live? I am assuming he has just disconnected if rom the terminal block and pushed  pushed it down the hole where the other cables enter the meter cabinet.

He would have saved me the problem of a visit if he had left it connected.

That's the roughest meter change I have seen in a long time!....and what happened to /where is the main fuse?

just curious
It's a flat. Fuse is probably in a distribution cupboard somewhere.

" Your spark" lol ie moi. She has fitted panel heaters.  The 3 sockets are fed from 20A mcbs the ones that fed the storage rads. Both her and her lodger are out all day so to some extent defeats the object of having storage radiators anyway.

Have just spoken to my daughter and the guy did not touch the CUs so how has he removed the live? I am assuming he has just disconnected if rom the terminal block and pushed  pushed it down the hole where the other cables enter the meter cabinet.

He would have saved me the problem of a visit if he had left it connected.
If you had been there, you could have requested both CU's are kept live, and the meter monkey would have put another henley block in to feed both L's to both CU's.

Interesting to see a red and black L & N departing, then a BLUE N.  Why was that N put in later? or is that new with the meter change?

If you had been there, you could have requested both CU's are kept live, and the meter monkey would have put another henley block in to feed both L's to both CU's.

Interesting to see a red and black L & N departing, then a BLUE N.  Why was that N put in later? or is that new with the meter change?

Unfortunately I never had need to look i the meter cupboard previous to this changeover. Seems a right collection of colours I am making the assumption, that as the flat is some 20 yrs old and untouched electrically, it will then have had the old colours. This is proved by the red incoming sleeved in brown.  Though

this does not account for the incoming being blue and as for the earth just yellow well!

Do the panel heaters work?
Yes, see next entry for why.

And on the basis there are now 3 extra socket points, one assume there are now 3 fewer panel heaters than there were storage heaters?
Been ages since I was there and am losing the plot, bigtime. Originally were 4 storage radiators. All removed, 3 of those circuits used for panel heaters and other just converted into a single socket, so ignore the gibberish I wrote about 3  single sockets.