Door entry help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A glazier has asked me to remove and refit a card reader and latch from a door entry system to allow for new doors.

The card reader appears to be a Paxton 409-711SC  from what Ive found on the net. 

I have little knowledge of door entry systems. Can I simply power down and remove these components, rewire as existing and then reenergise or is this going to cause problems with loss of settings/configuration etc ?

Obviously I need to avoid a situation where the door cannot be locked/unlocked after I've meddled with it!

Many thanks.

21.jpg

6.jpg4.jpg2 - Copy.jpg1 - Copy.jpg

I got involved in a similar job where UPVC door was fitted along with a new integral release catch. This turned out to need more current than the old one (which was like the one you show), and wouldn't operate when being released from the flat stations due to volt drop in the wiring. A relay solved the problem after a bit of head scratching, so beware.

I got involved in a similar job where UPVC door was fitted along with a new integral release catch. This turned out to need more current than the old one (which was like the one you show), and wouldn't operate when being released from the flat stations due to volt drop in the wiring. A relay solved the problem after a bit of head scratching, so beware.

almost all have a relay in the controller thats adjacent to the door. the wiring to the handset doesnt actually carry any power to the lock, on conventional systems is just ring, speech & 0v. open command is by shorting mic to 0v

almost all have a relay in the controller thats adjacent to the door. the wiring to the handset doesnt actually carry any power to the lock, on conventional systems is just ring, speech & 0v. open command is by shorting mic to 0v
I've only ever worked on the one; I got involved by a relative, as you do.

That one definitely didn't use a relay until I added it, but it was only a small six station setup.