Extending MICC cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benselectrics

Reaction score
Does anyone in the South London area have the tools and experience to work on 3H10 MICC cable? I have a client that has two supplies to his property (house and basement flat). Both cables come into the house via an under-stair entrance. They're trying to do the place up and one cable needs shortening while the other needs lengthening so they can be fixed flat against the wall. Please let me know if you're interested. It's in Herne Hill.

Not a looped supply or DNO's cable. The meters are outside and the MICC cables are the consumer tails.

I can do them but also 100 miles away .   As Andy says  , replace  ,     3H10   would be equal to  16mm SWA  
Hi Evans Electric. My client still wants to stick with the MICC cable. To be fair to him replacing the feed to his house would mean taking up the front yard paving and chasing to the consumer unit in his recently decorated house.

Interested in a day trip to London?

I'm not to be honest Bens  ,  I have certain responsibilities at home .  If your job was in the Midlands I wouldn't mind helping out  but travelling around the country these days is something I don't relish .  133 miles  Norh Brum to Herne Hill 

Youtube shows MICC being terminated , its not difficult to be honest .      Just buy a crimping tool to crimp the seal into the pot ,don't bother with the other tools,   you can strip the copper sheath with a long flat blade screwdriver  and ring the sheath with a plumber's copper tube cutter .  ( Very carefully though )  

As SWA , slide the shroud on .

Then the gland.

Decide length of tails. 

Strip up to your indent mark & peel off.

Screw pot on , it has a self tapping thread.

Look inside pot for any stray brass "hairs " from the screwing .

Do not blow into pot .

Slide on the 2 or 3 core  stub seal  but stop  25mm  from pot  keeping cores nice & straight .

Take the compound stick from your trouser pocket  (where you should have put it at the start )

Push compound in pot from one side only .

Slide your brand new crimper down the cores , hook onto pot & crimp seal into pot .  Remove crimper. 

Slide on over sleeving .

Megger at 500V  between cores & to  sheath .

Identify conductors  and continue as SWA  . 

You can do it , you're a sparks , we can do anything !!!!   

Scan0002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I could, and wouldn't mind, until the client got my price!

However, I am currently 882km away according to Google Maps if I drive!

But, I would have to go home first to get my van, and go to the workshop and get the pyro tools, then drive up to London, so that makes it over 1500km.

I don't think Mercedes Benz would be happy about me leaving before finishing the inspection of their machine either.

My flight isn't until Friday afternoon home!

So not practical for me, again booked up busy next week, then booked to go off to China for a week, might be able to do some time toward the start/middle of August...

Sod that Andy  , little joy in driving any distance these days  .  
🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
I could, and wouldn't mind, until the client got my price!

However, I am currently 882km away according to Google Maps if I drive!

But, I would have to go home first to get my van, and go to the workshop and get the pyro tools, then drive up to London, so that makes it over 1500km.

I don't think Mercedes Benz would be happy about me leaving before finishing the inspection of their machine either.

My flight isn't until Friday afternoon home!

So not practical for me, again booked up busy next week, then booked to go off to China for a week, might be able to do some time toward the start/middle of August...

🤣
That'll be why it was nice and quiet in Fforestfach today then well until i got there 🤣

That CAD system is getting better!
 Yes,  Had computer converted from natural gas to this new fangled  ' lectric.   & got rid of that old 405 line Echo TV  that served as a monitor ,  can't get the valves these days   but I do miss that disappearing down to a dot when you switch off ...and that disembodied BBC voice  that reminded you to switch off  &  wished you  a good nights sleep . 

I'm not to be honest Bens  ,  I have certain responsibilities at home .  If your job was in the Midlands I wouldn't mind helping out  but travelling around the country these days is something I don't relish .  133 miles  Norh Brum to Herne Hill 

Youtube shows MICC being terminated , its not difficult to be honest .      Just buy a crimping tool to crimp the seal into the pot ,don't bother with the other tools,   you can strip the copper sheath with a long flat blade screwdriver  and ring the sheath with a plumber's copper tube cutter .  ( Very carefully though )  

As SWA , slide the shroud on .

Then the gland.

Decide length of tails. 

Strip up to your indent mark & peel off.

Screw pot on , it has a self tapping thread.

Look inside pot for any stray brass "hairs " from the screwing .

Do not blow into pot .

Slide on the 2 or 3 core  stub seal  but stop  25mm  from pot  keeping cores nice & straight .

Take the compound stick from your trouser pocket  (where you should have put it at the start )

Push compound in pot from one side only .

Slide your brand new crimper down the cores , hook onto pot & crimp seal into pot .  Remove crimper. 

Slide on over sleeving .

Megger at 500V  between cores & to  sheath .

Identify conductors  and continue as SWA  . 

You can do it , you're a sparks , we can do anything !!!!   

View attachment 10118
Leonardo da Vinci! Thanks a million for the explanation. Very much appreciated.

I've watched it on YouTube and it does seem temptingly do-able. My hesitation is that the cables are in this condition. Far from brand new, and definitely not classroom conditions. Given that I can't afford to get this wrong do you still think it's worth a shot?

MICC 57 DR.jpeg

The stuff is as tough as old boots ,  possibly  the best cable  ever made  ,  .  Don't kink it sharply .  Give it a go .  It's definitely a metric size  is'nt it ?     You'll have to buy a pack of 10 glands etc  .  Snip off the live core an inch shorter ,  save identifying later . 

I agree it's not that hard to do. I was only shown once how to do it, when I, "won", a load of stripped out 2H2.5 from work and later rewired my garage and outbuildings with it.

Have a practice at ringing and stripping the excess length to check that the cable is still in a fit condition to be re-used. 

No purchase needed, and if the copper has become too hard to work then an alternative solution has to be found!

Don't however leave the open end unprotected for long as it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, then it is knackered.