Changing a light fitting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullpint

Reaction score
Hi - I am trying to change a light fitting. The existing light is on a single switch, and the out of the ceiling are three wires, live, neutral and earth.

The new light fitting needs two lives. It has L1, L2, N and E. The fitting has four bulbs. The neutral from each bulb all meet up in the terminal and go to one place. But the live from two bulbs goes to L1 and live from the other two bulbs go to L2. The instructions assume I have two lives coming in.

Can I wire all four into L1?

Thanks!

I'd say yes ,  sounds a bit strange to me .   Could just be designed to save energy with a choice of 2 lamps or 4.      Its not an emergency lighting fitting is it ?   

If its  a straight forward  fitting  just  fit a jumper between L1 & L2   & connect your L .  

As always on here ....make sure its dead before messing !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say yes ,  sounds a bit strange to me .   Could just be designed to save energy with a choice of 2 lamps or 4.      Its not an emergency lighting fitting is it ?   

If its  a straight forward  fitting  just  fit a jumper between L1 & L2   & connect your L .  

As always on here ....make sure its dead before messing !!!!

It's just a standard ceiling light. I was expecting easy job, three wires out, three wires in. But this L1 L2 thing has thrown me.

No , he says two lamps are connected to  L1  &  two to L2   .   

I know  that back in the day , (I'm too young to remember , Kerch will know ,)    a  large chandalier  ,  Del-Boy style,   could have ,say four switch wires for various levels og light .  

They also had some odd switches coupled with a wiring method that could put the lamps in series , like an early dimmer .   Got some info on them somewhere  .  

Sounds like a PIR type fitting, with live 'In' & live 'Out' to control a secondary light off the same fitting. But as Murdoch said; What do the manufactures instructions actually say?

Doc H.