A couple of boo boo's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, pigeon lettuced all over the panels.

There are a few boards that have IP rating issues and exploding contactors.

They demolished a building the pigeons were nesting in So they moved to the next building, came into work the next week and they've moved to the next building and shat everywhere! 

I had one rule, if they shot out a light fitting, they replaced it.

They caused one strange episode, an intermittent fault on a crane cross travel festoon cable. The following shift found a pellet embedded in the cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one rule, if they shot out a light fitting, they replaced it.

They caused one strange episode, an intermittent fault on a crane cross travel festoon cable. The following shift found a pellet embedded in the cable.

How about producing  a nice little hole in the encoder track. For those that don't know, it's a strip of metal with varying sizes of holes so an encoder could work out position.

Wasn't enough to cause an issue. As although the crane lost it's location in that one point, the momentum carried it over the fault an it knew where it was again. 

It was only when moving slowly over  that area it flagged an alarm, as the operators could simply reset the alarm from the control room an the crane went on it's merry way again, it took a while to find that one.

I've refused to work on crane motors until they were cleaned and disinfected.

I've worked on the roofs of some posh hotels and the pigeon problem in the plant rooms had to be seen to be believed. Refused on more than one occasion. Worst ever was the Wainscott council estate near Croydon.

Most surreal was a job near London Bridge. The building manager had a penthouse flat and let his alsatian have the run of the roof and plant rooms. It crapped and shat everywhere. We kicked off and he collected in all into half full bin bags spread over the roof. Dog**** House we knew it as.

I visited a rooftop site in Croydon a few years ago, it was on a block of flats with the telecoms equipment behind some hoardings. There was a net over the lot to stop pigeons getting in but they did and couldn't get out.

The landlord had got a contractor in to shoot all the pigeons and remove them, they shot them all and put them in bin bags, roughly ten bags worth then left them on the roof, it was lovely going up there in the height of summer surrounded by bags of rotting birds.

I wasn't  too concerned by the joint.....I,was more interested in the aftermarket IP 55 covering!....is it for pigeon 💩 or water?
The joint wouldn't bother me either  ...probably a long run of SWA  , someone forgot to measure  the last drop to the board .     Seen it done loads  & have been guilty of the same mistake  , which made me ultra careful when measuring up . 

I wasn't  too concerned by the joint.....I,was more interested in the aftermarket IP 55 covering!....is it for pigeon 💩 or water?

I had two 95mm² 3c 11kV cables to run ¾ of a mile. Each of the seven cable drums weighed in at four tons. Eight joints, two within 50 yards of the remote substation. Sometimes cable joints are an inconvenient fact of life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember one sparks , when I was an apprentii ,  always going on about wiring  without a joint anywhere  ...all this resistance etc  ...should NEVER have joints . .. yadda yadda  

Load of old tosh really .    I was just a kid  but another sparks told me to ignore it  and  ( one of those small things you seem to remember )      he said the whole network  throughout the land  all the way  to the final light switch  was made up of joints  and just take notice .  

He also said some blokes just talk a load of ballcocks ..................after a lifetime in the trade I'd agree with him  .

From the bloke who told me to hold the metal fuseboard with one hand while fishing about in the board & you won't get a shock . ( Yeah right !  Lucky for me I'd already figured that one out )

To the spark  who claimed you can't fit  galvo  boxes on black enamel conduit 

To the spark who argued black & blue  that a 30A   X 30mA   RCD   would trip out , on an overload  greater than 30A   AND  that you cannot pass a neutral through a light switch box .    We didn't renew his sub contract to us IIRC .