Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil43

Reaction score
Seven years ago we had our home rewired, this included a mains powered smoke alarm linked to a heat alarm both units optical types. A year ago the alarm went off without cause, it was difficult to say which unit the alarm started with.

Our electrician said the batteries needed changing, which we did and a couple of days later the alarms started randomly again. So both units were replaced but the problem persisted. We had the wiring in the loft checked, we were told that was OK.

There is no pattern, they can go off in the middle of the night or during the day. There was no reason or cause why this problem should have stated.

Our electrician has walked away from it, he stopped taking our calls.

Any ideas any help please.

Regars Phil

When you say they "go off" - do you mean they all sound or start bleeping every minute or so?

What make of smoke alarms?

Are they all the same make?

Are they all hard wired or are some RF?

Where are you based?

What make of alarms are they? do they have a customer support line on the user leaflets? Are they purely Smoke/Heat? you don't have a Carbon Monoxide detector as well do you that is actually detecting something?  

Doc H 

Just re-read the post. When you say, "replaced", do you mean re-installed or fitting new ones? 

If they are new, disconnect one at a time to find out which is causing the problem, then exchange/replace.

If they have both been replaced and the wiring checked, I would seriously consider the chance there may be something smouldering somewhere?

I would test that by disconnecting them and removing the batteries and putting a couple of cheap battery only alarms up as a test. . If they go of you really have a problem lurking.

Both units were totally replaced, when the new one didn't fix the problem I got another set of batteries and that didn't work. The company has a support line the electrician spoke with them numerous times. The only answer they came up with was insects we vacuumed the units out.  

I am at the point of thinking could it be radio waves triggering the alarms. The manufacturers thought I was crazy.

regards Phil  

The units were replaced by the manufacturer, the old units should have been sent back to the manufacturer but the wholesaler lost them. Units are linked by wire. They are radio controlled.

regards phil   

The units were replaced by the manufacturer, the old units should have been sent back to the manufacturer but the wholesaler lost them. Units are linked by wire. They are radio controlled.

regards phil   

And they were made by ?????

linked by wire and radio controlled?

Last edited by a moderator:
if they are Fireangel, ditch them for they are made by the 4 horsemen of the apocolypse - none problomatic ****e! Daft question but are they wired to a lighting circuit, or on their own circuit, and hte circuit breaker is turned on?

Another thought. Are they close to a light fitting, particularly an old pendant light fitting.  If so even a thick layer of dust "smouldering" on a hot GLS lamp could set them off.