BS8436 Cable Guardian Flex/Flexishield etc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a supplier that does this stuff by the meter, drum price is massive and we only need about 10M.

Jono   knowing wholesalers  I'd guess they'd only sell drums .   Thought I recognised the name , theres a sample  in the office  but its only a foot long.  

Like Firetuf  ...  I had to buy a drum for a few mtrs .   Left with the drum for a few years  ,   The Badger had a couple of mtrs from me  .  Finally used it up at the printers after  sitting  on it for about 10 years . 

That is how its looking, discount electrical used to sell per metre but no more. Give the customer the "good" news in the morning.

Jono, why is Flexishield being specified anyway  ?   

Customer decided to get all the walls in a room plastered then get the wiring checked out, ring is broken somewhere between two sockets in the room, top floor flat with flat roof above no access to cables so to reconnect that section of the ring with minimal damage we are going to need to go outside regular zones 8436 cable was the least intensive option. Dont like having to do it but it will fulfil the requirements of 522.6.6, note will be made on the certs too.

522.6.6 ?   You are showing your age there Jono! For the sake of any younger members reading our posts, (and trying to follow our teachings in "The Book".)   522.6.6, (previously known as 522-06-06) later became 522.6.101, then 522.6.204.  or something like that.  but basically 522.6.6 does not exist in the current book!  May be quicker trying to find a definition of exactly what Brexit is and how it will work, rather than keeping up to date with our ever changing regulations and/or their numbers!

Doc H.

Customer decided to get all the walls in a room plastered then get the wiring checked out, ring is broken somewhere between two sockets in the room, top floor flat with flat roof above no access to cables so to reconnect that section of the ring with minimal damage we are going to need to go outside regular zones 8436 cable was the least intensive option. Dont like having to do it but it will fulfil the requirements of 522.6.6, note will be made on the certs too.

get some pyro in there

522.6.6 ?   You are showing your age there Jono! For the sake of any younger members reading our posts, (and trying to follow our teachings in "The Book".)   522.6.6, (previously known as 522-06-06) later became 522.6.101, then 522.6.204.  or something like that.  but basically 522.6.6 does not exist in the current book!  May be quicker trying to find a definition of exactly what Brexit is and how it will work, rather than keeping up to date with our ever changing regulations and/or their numbers!

Doc H.
Why can't they just leave things alone, even worse i'd looked at the reg earlier in the day in the blue book 😂 reg below for anyone who cares

522.6.204  For the purposes of Regulation 522.6.201(ii), Regulation 522.6.202(ii) and Regulation 522.6.203(ii), a cable shall:

(i) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6724, BS 7846,  BS 8436 or BS EN 60702-1, or

(ii) be installed in earthed conduit complying with BS EN 61386-21 and satisfying the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iii) be enclosed in earthed trunking or ducting complying with BS EN 50085-2-1 and satisfying the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iv) be    provided    with    mechanical    protection    against    damage    sufficient    to    prevent    penetration    of    the    cable    by    nails, screws and the like, or

(v) form part of a SELV or PELV circuit meeting the requirements of Regulation 414.4.

get some pyro in there
Weighed about 15M 2L2.5 in a few months ago "wont need that" 🙄

Last edited by a moderator:
why not make two radial circuits at 20A each?
1 ring for the whole place including kitchen, and the break in 3/4 of the way round so to isolated the damaged section we would have one leg with  only 3 outlets and the rest including kitchen on the other. Sucky situation all round. But as the saying goes you cant polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

@NozSpark  Thats where the cable has come from BATT had 50M on a drum kicking around so had that, bit cheaper than 100m but still expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: