Faulty light circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cp93

Reaction score
Have just moved into a house. Old re wire-able fuse box has been replaced. One of the circuits keep tripping the RCD. 

Basically the circuit (3 lights) is fed off the boiler switch. The boiler works fine, only the 3 lights fed from the boiler switch are causing the RCD to trip.

There is continuity between all of the light switches, 240v between L&N though only 160v between L&E.

There is however only continuity between lives from the light switches and live at the boiler switch. No continuity between neutral and earth at any lights and the boiler switch. 

Assuming the fault must be the wiring  between the boiler switch and first light switch on circuit but can’t see any loose terminals. Any ideas ?

Just a meter. Spark fitted the board yesterday he is back out today as his head was gone trying to sort it yday, just looking for advice really but understand without seeing the set up it would be difficult for anyone to say.

"160V L to E" probably means the earth is not connected.

A spark properly competent to replace a consumer unit should be able to sort this out without his head spinning. Worst case is those 3 lights need rewiring. I would personally prefer the lights and the boiler were not on the same circuit anyway.

And your spark should have all the test equipment needed.

Note the use of the word should.  It may be yours is not properly competent?

"160V L to E" probably means the earth is not connected.

A spark properly competent to replace a consumer unit should be able to sort this out without his head spinning. Worst case is those 3 lights need rewiring. I would personally prefer the lights and the boiler were not on the same circuit anyway.

And your spark should have all the test equipment needed.

Note the use of the word should.  It may be yours is not properly competent?
Think it was just a long day,  both light circuits now on the same RCD and this has stopped the tripping. 

Think it was just a long day,  both light circuits now on the same RCD and this has stopped the tripping. 
That has just confirmed you have a borrowed neutral from one lighting circuit to the other. It has not "fixed" the fault.

I hope he sorted out the earth or did he sweep that under the carpet as well?

Long day, or even long week, should have negligible bearing on the type of fault you describe. It is absolute basic every-day bread & butter sort of situation any competent electrician could identify and clear, (or propose remedial work to clear later). However I would have though it could have been identified during the testing before energising the circuit? ProDaves   assumptions sound very accurate to me.  "A spark properly competent to replace a consumer unit should be able to sort this out without his head spinning".  

Doc H.

That may have stopped the RCD tripping but it won't stop some unsuspecting sole getting a belt off the neutral at some point in the future ....which could kill

What does the installation certificate say about this?