AFDD and the IEC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
er ............ hum ............

could you please interpret this for us? in words we can easily understand?

Page 82 is the start of the IEC test methods for AFDD's

Joe Engel's led the development team for AFCI's. He realised the technology was flawed and tried to stop any future  development.

Last edited by a moderator:
These devices work when subjected to faults which are within the testing procedures defined by the IEC standard.

Whether these test procedures match real life scenarios is another thing.

Also, what you need to realise is that US plugs are not fused and the appliance cords rely upon the overcurrent protection at the circuit origin for their protection.

The Americans, also have no concept of testing EFLI, to ensure that adequate fault current will flow at a "receptacle outlet" to ensure timely ADS in the event of a "bolted fault" at the "receptacle".

As is made obvious by this paper, and this guy is supposed to be an expert!

He obviously like almost all Americans has no concept of ADS, EFLI & fault current.

The sad thing is, Joe Engle’s was hounded out of the US for his opposition to AFCI’s. The monster he’d created.

The test method for series arcs is interesting and something I’ve come across in real life. Interrupting a current flow creates a voltage spike, this can cause a flashover hence the adjustable spark gap in the test rig.

For me it was a draw out starter, it was designed for a maximum of 200A uses. The drive was up-rated and 300A fuses were shoe horned in, the fuses were far too close together. The drive would start OK, stopping it the spike would cause a flash over between the fuses taking out the 550A busbar riser fuses. I came up with a workaround by fitting flash guards between the fuses, it worked but eventually we had to do major alteration to the MCC panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sidey, I have been watching a few electrically based videos on Youtube, a guy there who Jono knows of (SparkyNinja) has been researching this guy, and He seems to think that the Yanks have pretty much lost themselves with AFDD's

Guinness
Videos by JW, yes he got AFDD's from e5.

Latest posts