Wiring found in loft 😬

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lola

Reaction score
Hello everybody I feel really stupid asking this but I don’t know who to ask. Recently I fitted a small area of flooring in my loft and came across a 4/5 separate wires going to the same point in my bathroom ceiling when moving the loft insulation I was quite shocked to find the wires were running into a plastic connector attached to the bathroom lighting circuit  alongside a big earth wire

I checked if they were live using a electrical screwdriver and they were I wanted to know if this is safe? I have uploaded a photo of it. I remember the housing association doing a full rewire around 6/7 years ago fitting a new light/ switch and double socket in the loft. I’m very puzzled in to why they would leave it like this? 

Thanks for reading and any advice is much appreciated 

no photo. common for wiring to be an enclosure, however the connections should not be exposed or easily touched
Sorry I’ve only just found out I can’t upload images yet until I have posted a number of times 🤷🏻‍♀️

Hello everybody I feel really stupid asking this but I don’t know who to ask. Recently I fitted a small area of flooring in my loft and came across a 4/5 separate wires going to the same point in my bathroom ceiling when moving the loft insulation I was quite shocked to find the wires were running into a plastic connector attached to the bathroom lighting circuit  alongside a big earth wire

I checked if they were live using a electrical screwdriver and they were I wanted to know if this is safe? I have uploaded a photo of it. I remember the housing association doing a full rewire around 6/7 years ago fitting a new light/ switch and double socket in the loft. I’m very puzzled in to why they would leave it like this? 

Thanks for reading and any advice is much appreciated 
1-D0-FA39-A-D288-4914-B0-FB-B15-C6-F03-FB13.jpg.534eca10443307e401e4abb9ca0f3b89.jpg

That looks like a proper DIY bodge.

It is probably the result of fitting a light fitting that did not have space to terminate all those wires.

It should have been done with a proper enclosed terminal box, and if it remains accessible, then a screw terminal box is okay.

If you are not in a hurry, and are going to cover it so it won't be accessible any more, get an electrician round to fit a maintenance free junction box, then you can floor over it.

There’s certainly scope for improvement there ....and that looks like it’s been like that for a while.

for piece of mind maybe get a local spark via recommendation to take a look?

Is that earth cable even connected or is it just an off cut rolled up in a ball?

It looks like mastic /sealer has been applied . 

That earth wire could  be from the days of a 4mm earth joining everything in the bathroom   ( even the pull switch if I remember correctly)  

It looks like mastic /sealer has been applied . 

That earth wire could  be from the days of a 4mm earth joining everything in the bathroom   ( even the pull switch if I remember correctly)  

and that requirement was dropped in 18th, so a bit odd thats its there is rewired 6/7 years ago...

maybe the rewire was really a all new accessories & consumer unit but without replacing cable type of rewire?

and that requirement was dropped in 18th, so a bit odd thats its there is rewired 6/7 years ago...

maybe the rewire was really a all new accessories & consumer unit but without replacing cable type of rewire?

Zooming in on those conductors, they don't look very Blue & Brown to me, I would think that wiring is more likely 14+ years old.

Doc H.