Pattress Box for 20mm Conduit - All Plastic

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Arthur

Reaction score
I'm installing a number of workbench sockets and want to use horizontal 20mm plastic conduit between the pattress boxes.

Sounds simple enough (I thought!) but I can't find any plastic pattress boxes with 20mm knock-outs on the sides, only on the top/bottom, which surprised me.  Surely I can't be the first person to want to do this?   I guess I can drill some holes but knock-outs are easier.

Am I searching in vain?

ive looked before but didnt find any. just drilled some 20mm holes. only issue is you can really get them in the centre so usually have to run the conduit near the top / bottom

Mildly reassuring to know I'm not alone then, though still frustrating.

Out with the 20mm drill bit then!

Make sure you buy "conduit boxes"  Even though you won't be using the top and bottom knock outs provides, the important thing is they are the soft plastic that you can drill without shattering a normal surface back box.

And yes you have to drill them above or below centre.

Or fit steel surface sockets  , they have K/Os in the centre  side .  
True, but I'd prefer to avoid metal sockets.  I don't have the equipment for metal conduit and while I could mix metal boxes and plastic conduit I don't think it would look 'right'.

I don't mind the conduit not being central to the sides of the sockets, besides they'll be barely visible when tucked under the overhang of the workbench.

Make sure you buy "conduit boxes"  Even though you won't be using the top and bottom knock outs provides, the important thing is they are the soft plastic that you can drill without shattering a normal surface back box.

And yes you have to drill them above or below centre.

Haha, you're dead right about shattering the brittle plastic boxes!  Ridiculous material really.

OK  .  Have to say that , to me , it looks fine  , no need to actually do it in steel con.  but we all have our own preferences . 

How about an MK  box 2004 Alm    that takes a standard white flush socket  ?   

True, but I'd prefer to avoid metal sockets.  I don't have the equipment for metal conduit and while I could mix metal boxes and plastic conduit I don't think it would look 'right'.

I don't mind the conduit not being central to the sides of the sockets, besides they'll be barely visible when tucked under the overhang of the workbench.

plastic conduit & metal boxes doesnt look bad depending on situation

How about an MK  box 2004 Alm    that takes a standard white flush socket  ?   

TBH, I wonder about the safety of those boxes when used with side-entry conduit.  Sure, the conduit (plastic or metal) looks all neat and central but it means the cable enters the box directly under the a socket fixing screws, which are not enclosed unlike in the plastic boxes.  Safer to be offset a little?

If its a workbench I would be wanting metal sockets not plastic for the improved durability. The screws are no more of a hazard than in a standard flush metal box, where an uninsulated wire could get caught underneath the screw if you are a bit lazy when positioning the cables in the box whilst replacing the switch/socket front. Black PVC conduit looks perfectly fine with a metal box, not much different to a black SWA coming into a metal socket.  You seem to be over complicating a simple job to me.

Doc H.