How to create a flicker effect on 400w halogen circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmci

Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking for some ideas on how to create a random flicker effect (candle effect) on a 400w halogen lamp. This is for a display where the lamp is mimicking a candle in an over sized lantern (1m x 1m by 2m tall) 

I had seen an example of using a fluorescent starter (FS-2) which does create the required effect on normal sized household light but it’s not strong enough for the Halogen (the flicker is too subtle). 

I had thought perhaps to use a larger rated fluorescent starter than the FS-2 or look for some switch unit which could create a randomised on / off timer switching effect. 

I know this is a strange one as I'm trying to add something to the circuit. 

Thanks

Scott 

I would have thought that the thermal inertia of a 400 watt halogen filament would allow, at best, an extremely slow  and limited flicker.  Do you have to use halogen?

It would perhaps be much easier with LEDs.

Is there any mechanical option that would suit your needs? I am think of the flame effect flicker on electric fires that use a static lamp with a rotating vane to create shadow & flicker?

This type of thing.  https://tdspares.co.uk/product/suncrest-dimplex-electric-fire-flicker-vane-fuel-flame-effect-spinner-red-cap

Doc H
Thanks Doc, that’s an idea I hadn’t thought of. Although the spinner might block a large proportion of the light, I’ll maybe give it a try as it’s a very cheap item to test out. 

I would have thought that the thermal inertia of a 400 watt halogen filament would allow, at best, an extremely slow  and limited flicker.  Do you have to use halogen?

It would perhaps be much easier with LEDs.
Hi Geoff, the lanterns have to be able to cast a shadow onto characters on the glass of the lantern in both day and night. Unfortunately i was struggling to find LEDs as strong plus I had some 400W halogen lamps available to try. 

They give off enough light day and night, it’s just trying to get the candle flickering effect just right. 

As mentioned using the FS-2 in series does give a good effect its just too subtle (perfect on a normal 40W incandescent bulb though)

I have some higher rated FS starters to try tomorrow as well. 

what are you trying to achieve? all youd get it something going on / off?
Andy the on/off effect to reproduce that of a candle bulb has to switch on/off rapidly in milliseconds. 

I tried a number of fluorescent starters. Found one which is perfect and gives the desired effect on high wattage lights. I used 75-125 Watt T12 Single Fluorescent Tube Lights 240v General Electric (GE) 155/800. 

Thanks for the other advice. This was a bit left field! 

Latest posts