Narrow Boat Generator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt0404

Reaction score
Good Evening...

I have a generator on my Narrow Boat it 12.5kva it powers everything .. Dishwasher, tumble dryer everything in one go. When I purchased the boat they told me that there may be a problem with it powering sensitive equipment..  The output is powerful but variable sometimes it powers the washing machine and then it won't cycle... How do I get to around this please? Could I introduce voltage stabilizer or something..

Thank you for your replys I am new to this...

Kind Regards 

Matt

sounds like you need a better inverter between gennny and electrical system, if you have a non-built in unit? Trouble with gennys is the output can be rough sine wave and lack stability hence the issues.  I'm not overly familiar with boat electrics, but other possible options include:-

1/ true sine wave inverter

2/ some form of surge protection, similar to what you use to protect PCs

3/ batteries - useful if you want to add solar panels. Basically you charge batteries from genny then use decent sine wave inverter to output a smooth 240V. Also means you don't have genny running all the time.