Accenta Gen4 - Sound at midnight!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnhullman

Reaction score
I have an Accenta Gen4 system that was installed 12 years ago and has worked faultlessly until recently.  I have replaced the battery although the old one showed full charge.

The system has 4 LCD keypads although one of them has never been activated; this is no inconvenience but I do not know why this should be?

The upstairs key pad was set up as a Part Set Code on Programme 3, although we have never used this feature.

Of the three working keypads one is located upstairs and approximately 3 months ago a problem commenced.  At precisely midnight every night the keypad emits a sound, similar to the Walk Test sound, for 10 seconds; the sound stops and there are no errors shown in the Event Log.

Does anyone have any clues and hopefully guidance as to how to stop the midnight bleeping?!

Thanks

I have replaced the apparently faulty keypad but am still getting the alarm setting bleep at midnight.

I have tried changing the time on the keypad so that 'midnight' is actually during the day so I could try to see what happens when the unit emits the sound but nothing happens.  I left the wrong time on the unit but last night it again sounded at actual midnight.

Is there is an internal clock in the main panel that is not getting reset when I change the time on the keypad?

The unit sounds for such a short time that it's not been possible to identify the cause of the problem.  I shall sit beside the unit at midnight tonight to try to see what's going on but really I need my sleep!

Any thoughts?

I have replaced the apparently faulty keypad but am still getting the alarm setting bleep at midnight.

Any thoughts?

Did you remove the "suspect" faulty keypad or reposition it. i.e. you say there are multiple keypads. I would have swapped the positions of a "good-one" with the "faulty-one", to see if the fault moves with the keypad or stays at one position? What voltages are you getting at the panel and at the keypads? You say the system is 12years old and you have changed the battery, I assume it has had battery replacements prior to this? How old was the previous battery?   

Doc H.

I'm a DIYer so haven't tried checking the voltages - I don't know how/where I would check; presumably across a set of terminals?

I removed the 'faulty' keypad but you have a good idea to move it.  I'll try it on Saturday - out all day tomorrow.

Yes, I've changed the battery before.  I changed the battery in the last couple of weeks as, hopefully, an easy fix although the old battery seemed to be holding its charge OK; it didn't do any good.

Thanks for your guidance.

How did you test the battery? just putting a basic AC/DC multi-meter across the terminals is unlikely to put any actual load on the battery when you test it. So would be pretty much impossible to establish how good or bad its charge capacity is. With the battery disconnected the power supply should be putting a higher voltage across the two battery leads in order for it to trickle charge the battery. With any intermittent fault symptoms, it is generally better if possible, to move a suspect item to check that the fault moves, rather than just guesswork swapping parts at random, as that can become a very expensive diagnostics method.

Doc H.

I did follow some instructions to test the battery under power. The old battery is now in my workshop and continues to hold power so I think that can be discounted.

I sat up last night over midnight and there was no bleep! I shall reset the date and time to the actual correct values today and will monitor the wretched thing again tonight. Maybe setting and resetting the time has fixed the problem but that seems unlikely...

Thanks, again for advice about swapping suspect parts around; I would never have thought of that.

Regards

Mike