Downlighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin1986

Reaction score
Hi there i am a plumber by trade and know a bit of electrical but i am putting 6 spotlights in my kitchen off of a ceiling pendent. There is just a 1mm cable to the pendent and i want to come off it with 2 cables but wot junction box should a use. Thanks

All screw terminal connections must be accessible for future inspection and testing. Where a joint is not accessible an approved "maintenance free" 'MF' junction box should be used. These will have cable clamps to stop the joint from being pulled apart and a spring loaded push-fit connection to keep a constant pressure on the joint connection.  This type of thing would do; https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html   (although 20A rating is more than you need).  It has four joints which can each take up to four connections per joint.  e.g. 4x live, 4x neutral, 4x earth, 4x other.   There are other methods using MF connectors such as 'Wago' terminals. But one of those boxes would probably be the simplest for your application.

Doc H

Can you not re route the existing cable to one of the downlight positions, and it can then loop from there to the next etc, thus avoiding any need for any junctions other than at the downlights.