Building control or works certificate for the following...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimjamyaha

Reaction score
Hi,

In 2005 would building control / works certificate be required for a new / extending kitchen wiring, new ceiling lights and oven installation?

In 2007 would building control / works certificate be required for new ceiling lights, sockets, replacement of electric shower and replacement of a ventilation fan in a bathroom/utility room?

Asking as work done in a property to purchase. Vendor and builders being quite certain that certificate or building control not required.

We are suspicious as after an EICR basic faults found (no grommets in backboxes, lights not fire rated for a ceiling... Could go on).

Many thanks for your professional replies.

If the work meant building control were involved there should be a completion certificate but what describe it wouldn’t 

as for the faults highlighted by the EICR that’s very normal. Fire rated down lights are only really relevant if there is a seperate dwelling above

what other C1 and C2 faults were identified?

Last edited by a moderator:
Part P Building regulations came into effect on Jan 1 2005.  However irrespective of that ALL electrical work should have an appropriate electrical certificate issued and signed by the person(s) doing the design/installation/inspection & testing.  But also even if suitable electrical certificate was issued in 2005, the next periodic inspection & test would typically be no greater than 10 years, So it should have been re inspected and tested approx. 2015. Fire rated down lights are only required where they potentially breach a fire compartment. Most single dwelling properties are a single fire compartment, or possible double if there is an integral garage. An electrical certificate is absolutely 100% required, this has been a fundamental requirement of BS7617 (wiring regulations). Back in Jan 2005 the applicable regulations would have been what we call the 16th edition. (we are now on the 18th edition since Jan 2019).  Chapter 133 of BS7671 : 2001 gives guidance on inspection and testing and certification. (e.g. Regulation 133-02-01) 

Doc H.

`

Other c1/c2 shower downlight not low voltage.

230v is low voltage... im guessing you mean ELV which would usually be 12v lights... either way, there is no requirement for them to be 12v,

good practice to fit grommets, but if the cable is now plastered in so cant be damaged by movement then no issue

same with fire rated downlights, not always needed, especially in a house

tbh, i think the issue is the person doing the EICR, doesnt sound like they are competent. or they are after more work by finding faults that dont exist

no need for notification or certificate for replacing items like sockets lights etc. only the kitchen wiring in 2005 may have needed any notification / certificate

tbh, i think the issue is the person doing the EICR, doesnt sound like they are competent. or they are after more work by finding faults that dont exist

From the information we have been given so far, I think that sounds like a reasonably accurate summary of this particular topic. I can seen nothing mentioned that could be classed as an immediate danger or a potential danger. And although previous documentation and certificates can be of some interest while doing later alterations, when we are talking of certificates from over 10 years ago, their relevance is somewhat diminished.  The only significant document should be the current EICR, if it is done correctly by a competent person, which brings us back to Andy's above comment!

Doc H. 

Hi, 

New to this forum and have what is I hope a simple question, its related to this thread so I hope you don't mind me tagging it on.  I have just had some building work done that needed Building Regs approval (new drains, roof alterations) and also included some electrical work in a bathroom (additional lights, fan etc).

When the job is complete should I expect a minor works certificate to cover the electrics in addition to the building control certificate, Or will the Building Control completion certificate cover everything? 

I have had a look at the details required on the minor works certificate and I don't forsee it being covered by the BR certificate.

How do I show a potential buyer that the electrics has been done correctly?

Any advice much appreciated (and ideally authoritative reference sources) . 

If I need to start with a new question please advise.

Regards