New house no alarm code

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Moved into a new house, previous owners didn't use alarm and don't know the code. They owned house from new.

The issue I now have is when there is a power cut or I turn power off, the house alarm goes off due to low battery in the alarm box. Due to not having the code i am unable to open the alarm box to change battery without setting off the tamper alarm.

What is my best course of action? Ideally I want the alarm to be fully functional and have a code so that it can be utilised. 

It flashes "runner series" on LCD. Unable to attach a pic, perhaps due to being a new member. 

Thanks in advance for any help 

Find a copy of the makers installation manual. Some alarms can be reset to factory settings.  Initially I think you are likely to have to remove the batteries with it sounding, but it only takes a few moments..  There is probably a small battery in the external bell box as well as the one in the panel.

I am also assuming they left no manuals? is this a wired or wireless system? It may be possible to reset/default it back to factory settings, but then you need the programming guide to reconfigure it. Also, you don't know if it had any other reliability/false alarm issues, (sometimes the case where people stop using a system?).  If it is a wired system, in these situations it can be less hassle just replacing the panel so you are starting afresh with a know-working system, (sensors/wiring & external sounder probably re-usable).  The first thing you need to establish is can you obtain copies of the user & programming guide for your system.

Doc H.

Latest posts