How to wire this ceiling light?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipps

Reaction score
I have installed a pair of Eglo 31588 LED ceiling lights on my landing.

It looks like there is the main live, the live extended on to the second ceiling light nearby, and the live switch.

On the mounted light fitment itself, there are only two mounting points for live and neutral in the brown terminals as shown.

Any advice on how to wire this successfully would be very muhc appreciated.

2cfbfwk.jpg.09a60cef286277c67e23b12a5afbbea7.jpg

when you refer to the extended live to nearby ceiling light, is that the second landing light that is switched together with this light or a separate light independently switched?  Do you know which cable is the extended live and which is permanent? 

Neutral wires in the 'N' connection point, Switched live into the 'L' connection point, Loop permanent live(s) and Loop Earths into separate connectors. It would probably have been easier to have boxed this whole connection externally to the light fitting and brought just a single cable L-N-E into the light itself. A vast quantity of modern light fittings are not designed for any "loop at light" wiring connections.

Doc H.

@Doc Hudson - Thanks for your advice. Apologies for the further question, but what do you mean when you say: "Loop permanent live(s) and Loop Earths into separate connectors"? 

He means connect the  permanent lives together in one connector, and all the earths together in another connector.

Terminal block can be used, better connectors are the likes of a Wago 222 (76776 Screwfix).

Thanks for clarifying. So all three Neutrals into the 'N' connection point, all three Lives into the 'L' connection point, and all three Earths to the earthing point?

Thanks for clarifying. So all three Neutrals into the 'N' connection point, all three Lives into the 'L' connection point, and all three Earths to the earthing point?

NO.  if you do that it will go bang when you switch it on.  On you photograph there are TWO neutrals not three. And the lives have a "PERMANENT" live from the supply and "SWITCHED" live from the light switch. It is just the switched live that goes into the light fitting, Otherwise your light would always be on all the time!  (most likely the blue wire with brown sleeve over it).  There will  be at least TWO permanent lives one from the supply and one going to the switch. The matter we cannot know as we are not there, is if the other cable is just a supply to a second light you mentioned, or the full supply ongoing to the rest of the circuit? That would govern where the third live goes to if it is a switched or permanent live out.

Doc H.

The blue with the bit of brown sleeving on it to the light fitting L terminal.

The other two blues to the light fitting N terminal

The 3 browns wired joined to each other and nothing else.

The 3 earths to that flat headed screw which I think is meant to be an earth terminal. 

I have installed a pair of Eglo 31588 LED ceiling lights on my landing.

It looks like there is the main live, the live extended on to the second ceiling light nearby, and the live switch.

On the mounted light fitment itself, there are only two mounting points for live and neutral in the brown terminals as shown.

Any advice on how to wire this successfully would be very muhc appreciated.

when you refer to the extended live to nearby ceiling light, is that the second landing light that is switched together with this light or a separate light independently switched?  Do you know which cable is the extended live and which is permanent? 

The above two points highlighted have never been answered. Therefore the third item on ProDaves advice, to join all three browns together may be incorrect. And could result in the one landing light being permanently on!

The blue with the bit of brown sleeving on it to the light fitting L terminal.

The other two blues to the light fitting N terminal

The 3 browns wired joined to each other and nothing else.

The 3 earths to that flat headed screw which I think is meant to be an earth terminal. 

We need to know if there are two separate lights on the landing that both operate together, and if so does the other light just have 1x (Live + Neutral + Earth) cable ?  

Doc H.

The second landing ceiling light was connected like this:

Cw8ulrv.jpg.7ad960b735cd9498c29a4075a593e2e0.jpg

Both were operated at the same time of two separate wall switches.

I initially followed @ProDave advice (being the easiest to follow!) and exactly as Doc H predicted, one light could switch but the other was on permanently.

I then connected one of the lives to the same connection terminal as the switching live.

It is now working perfectly as required, wired like this:

zmSZgFn.jpg.a9e49d17bf6bd5f2dd7986d1bf31dda6.jpg

Thank you everyone for the great help! 😁