Fitting T8 Base Fluorescent Tube Lamp Holders Sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdpoop

Reaction score
Hello.

Ive bought a couple of these off Ebay to replace two that have basically fallen to bits in my kitchen ceiling fluorescent light. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T8-Base-Fluorescent-LED-Tube-Lamp-Holders-Sockets-Snap-In-Or-Slide-On-Fitting/350917774940?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The old one has a starter incorporated into one of the broken fittings but the new ones do not come with those.  Ive been told the newer thinner T8 lights do not need them so is it just a case if cutting the wires (With the electric off of course) and shoving them in the bottom of the new sockets?

Many thanks

In case that link does not work Ill try and post an images.

pro-tools-fail-when-close-error-box.png.3ed7ba2b7bcb9df1ebb3cbe46b5492a7.png

I'd have said you would still need one of the end caps to have the starter incorporated in it .      Could be wrong , as someone has told you otherwise but if it was a switch start circuit then nothing has changed . 

If its a fluorescent tube you need a starter.

If it's an LED replacement/conversion tube you don't but the wiring is different.

An LED conversion type should come with instructions for its rewiring, and they still tend to use the starter socket for a special fuse.

Unless your fitting is something special, or needs to match others, etc, you are making your own life hard. New self contained LED strip lights with a reputable name on are available from about £20.

Ok thanks.  Duff advice I had maybe. Trouble is I cannot find a replacement end with a starter in.  I expect this light fitting is over twenty years old.  The ends were a couple of quid on Ebay.  Should have found this forum first I guess and just asked.  Fitting a whole new lLED light is above my pay grade I reckon so ill have to see if I can get a sparky in to do it.  

Latest posts