Required Qualifications

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen1974

Reaction score
Hi All, 

I did my electrical qualifications about 8 years ago but never went in to the industry. I did however end up in health and safety so the qualifications did help but I've not really kept up to date with any changes that have taken place. 

I've just been asked a question by a client about training up an inhouse electrician and they said can they put them on a C&G 2365 and then have them carry out work. 

I've not come across 2365 before. My quals were 2383, 2392 and 2377. 

So, if someone was going to train to become an electrician in a commercial environment, what are the minimum qualifications they would need and what does 2365 cover?

The qualifications you have are not considered nor recognised as qualifications of a qualified electrician. You have no technical qualification and would therefore be required to undertake the recognised ‘electrical installation’ qualifications, a short visit to either the C&G website or the JIB approved electrician grading page would identify which qualifications are required. 

Why the hell would they not be recognised? They are all city and guilds recognised qualifications in installation, testing and inspection, and are all still available as courses through C&G. 

Neither JIB nor City and GUilds website list what qualifications are need. The C&G site only lists what courses they offer. 

As far as I can tell from the courses on offer out there my qualifications are perfectly valid for being a domestic installer - or rather, were until 18th edition came out.

However, that's all besides the point. The question wasn't about my qualifications, I don't use them, it was what would someone need now. The C&G website is not very helpful because it just lists a wide variety of courses,. What I need is specifics of what qualifications are needed, If 2365 covers everything great. However, i'm looking for a break down of the individual qualification components. The best I can see is that now it just comes under an all encompassing electrotechnicians level 3 NVQ/Diploma banner which is about as useful as saying the crayon is purple. 

What are the absolute minimum requirements for someone to be able to electrical work in a commercial environment. example, in a car garage or a warehouse. 

This is not a personal attack on you it is merely what is recognised by the industry to be an electrician, whilst you may be acknowledged as a domestic installer, this was something dreamt up by the scheme operators to allow persons to work in a domestic only environment after the introduction of Part P, when schemes needed to increase revenue, this is why the qualifications that were sold to you and many others have very little technical content. 

However should a person wish to be considered as a fully qualified electrician then they would need qualifications that encompass the technical aspects also, hence why it takes up to 4years to become fully qualified and many years of experience to learn. Here is a link to the Jib/ECS page that details required qualifications to be recognised as a qualified electrician. https://www.ecscard.org.uk/card-types/electrotechnical/installation-electrician 

to give you a comparison, companies such as Kwik Fit and the like will say their mechanics, albeit their mechanics will only change things that involve nuts and bolts therefore they are not mechanics by the industry recognised qualifications as they can not do engine diagnosis/repairs etc, however a garage mechanic who has undertaken the full qualifications and years of study is recognised as a true mechanic. 

Hope this helps. 

What are the absolute minimum requirements for someone to be able to electrical work in a commercial environment. example, in a car garage or a warehouse. 

So, if someone was going to train to become an electrician in a commercial environment, what are the minimum qualifications they would need and what does 2365 cover?

The problem is you are asking a question that cannot be answered. Fundamentally the qualifications for any job are whatever that particular employer specifies they want from a prospective employee and what level of additional supervision and/or training is to be expected whilst undertaking that job. Which is why C&G cannot say what employers require from prospective candidates, only what their individual course content covers.

The various trades bodies can list requirements they expect from members, (which is where the domestic installer specification arose from in 2005 when Part-P was implemented), but an employer may or may not consider these applicable and any company with multiple workers would not expect all workers to be equally qualified. Some may have little or no qualifications, but they could all be working for the company doing some aspect of electrical work appropriate to their skill level. 

Every business is legally entitled to employ unskilled, unqualified workers if they wish to train new staff. Or set their own qualifications criteria to meet a particular job role. And as supply and demand on the job market varies, the required entry requirements can also change. So to answer your question, I think you would actually need to look at job adverts in the sector you are referring to and see what prospective employers are actually asking for.  

Doc H.    

whats 2383?

2377 pat testing

2392 Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification (Level 2)

don't you need a level 3 to be a sparks?

2382 is Regs.. perhaps a typo?

In my view for a spark you start with 2365, 2382 and 2391 (all lvl 3). Add a couple of years and you should be good to go.

They cover Craft/Theory, Regs and Test and Inspect.