Proximity of electrical and gas installations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBoy1984

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for some advice regarding a house I am planning on buying. The image at the following link shows the installation of the gas meter & supply alongside a consumer unit:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T5IaIURFXUU6xUknlQzC15OJ_nskkCro

I understand that the electrical installation dates from 2011 and I suspect the same is true for the gas installation. (The property was converted from two flats back to a single house at that time.)

Should I be concerned? If there is reason to be concerned, is the issue on the electrical or gas side?

Thanks in advance.

I guess I should have started out by saying that I knew there was a problem with proximity. What I really want to know is what, if anything, needs to be done about it? How long ago was the requirement introduced? On the gas side it is very clear about the required distances but is it also clear on the electrical side? If so, where is it stated? Could a qualified electrician justify installing as it is on any basis (assuming the gas was where it is now when he did the install)?

Does the cabling need to be in conduit (irrespective of the gas pipes)?

My feeling is that I need to ask the seller to have the electrical side moved away from the gas. So I'm looking for some advice around that before I get a suitably qualified person to take a look and quote for the work.

I'm thinking that there must be many thousands of older properties where the gas and electric share a confined space.

What is the real hazard that the six inch rule is intended to mitigate?  

Electrical equipment overheating and damaging a gas pipe? - I think there would be a lot more to worry about before the gas pipe melted!

Leaking gas igniting from an electrical spark?  -  Six inches separation isn't going to make much difference then.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fuse box was not installed by a qualified or competent person, as we see numerous builders, DIY, Kitchen fitter installed fuse boxes that lack basic good practice. If it dates from 2011 it should have been installed and documented in full compliance with BS7671 wiring regulations and part P building regulations and as such it should have various labels, warning signs & notices defined in chapter 51 of BS7671, none of which are visible in your photograph. I am of the opinion if a person fails to do the simple tasks of labelling up a fuse-box correctly what other corners have been cut?

have you seen copies of the Electrical installation certificate and Building regulations compliance certificate for this fuse box installation?  Are you aware of the guidance for inspection of testing of electrical installation? i.e. During installation work, circuits are tested & results documented on an "Electrical Installation Certificate" Then further periodic inspection and testing should be carried out to verify it is still satisfactory for ongoing use.  The duration guidance for domestic dwellings is 10 years or change of occupancy. (there should be a durable label giving the relevant dates for your installation).  I would suggest getting a full inspection done if there are no documents already available.

Although there is guidance regarding proximity spacing and external influences reducing any harmful risks from heat, steam, fumes etc between services, in this instance I consider it more to do with preventing foreseeable work on one service damaging part(s) of the other service as per reg 582.3.3

Doc H.

The cupboard being used as a paint store isn't ideal either.

You have mentioned 2011, is there any paperwork to back this date up as that looks quite a bit older?

Can't do much about the paint - not my house yet...

But my general view is that the situation is unsatisfactory. I do have the electrical installation documents and they do fit with the 2011/12 time frame for both electric and gas installations. Am getting a new EICR completed and have asked for costs for any remedial work. I just remain concerned that I am pretty certain there is a problem in the gas regs. but that this may not be seen in the same way on the electrics side.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts that things don't look 100%.

It doesn't comply with the  separation ruling   150mm   ,,  however there are many thousands like that .   If you want the house ask for the cost to be deducted from the sale price  ,  Without seeing further  I'd say £300 tops .

Many gas & electric supply points were installed close together  with just an asbestos board separating them  .  ( Theres lovely !)  

Agree with the paint storage ...that s not clever.

Last edited by a moderator: