16mm T+e - how to safely terminate on outside wall!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarrySparkie

Reaction score
Putting an fcu and socket spur in upstairs for customer- they decide to show me a cable sticking out of the exterior side of the  back of the house. It’s about 300mm of 16mm twin and earth, cut and not terminated, free to the elements. It was intended as a supply for the garden pottery shed. It is connected to an isolator switch with a 60am fuse, back by the main CU. 

Any recommendations for cheap terminals I can put in an IP rated box- or other cost effective safe solutions. Client seems reluctant for me to do anything about it, but I don’t want to leave it, even if I have a signed ‘waiver’. Your thoughts would be appreciated, ta. 

If customer doesn't want to do anything about it, just disconnect it at the supply end to ensure in cannot be accidentally re-energised simply by flicking a switch. No good doing charity work that customer has not asked you to do. 

Doc H.

If it was live  and if it was me  I'd kill it in the isolator by disconnecting  and thats it as he doesn't want to pay me .  

As the Doc says we are not charity workers  , the house owner is responsible  for the safety of his electrics ,  your conscience  is clear ,  you have no control over what happens in the future. 

A typical example of people's reactions was a job that required me to climb into the loft  ,  (I think we were fitting downlights to the bedroom)   at the side of the hatch , right where you place your hand to heave yourself  in ,  theres a  round JB  with no lid , live .  ( I'm thinking I'll charge an extra half hour to replace it ) 

The bloke is with his mates when I go down , tell him its dangerous ,  he tells me it is'nt  , been like it for years  , I say its still dangerous , they're all laughing 'cos I'm this daft old guy  who knows eff all  , "naw don't worry about it  mate "  

I think it was a man thing , being tough in front of your mates ...his missus is looking me , worried ,  how much to put right ?  £ 15 love .   right , do it , ignore those twats .