Adding sockets to a ring main

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeKlos

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm an apprentice electrician and will be adding a few sockets to a ring main in a workshop. I've been told that spurring off multiple sockets is bad practice (not sure if thats true). So should I just try and add the sockets in the already complete circuit and avoid spurring off any sockets?

(Everything that is being done will be checked and tested by an approved electrician.)

You can spur off the ring and it be ok, if done properly. No spuring off a spur, so each spur to just one point. It's a lot better and easier (if adding multiple points) to just break into the ring and extend it to the new section.

Just check the max load on the ring first  ,  could be quite high being a workshop  , who knows !  Might only be one guy in there.

Some sparks will lose control of their bowels  if you spur off  but theres nothing wrong with it if you follow the regs & common sense .    Specially domestic jobs.     

If its a conduit installation  and you're adding along the run ,  then open the ring up , slot in the new plugs & rewire all on the ring .  

If its an odd one here  & there , spur it off  without derating .    If you want to add , as you said , multiple sockets , say three twins  as a branch  , light usage , insert an  unswitched spur which would   protect  that line at 13A .   

Let us know how you get on  with it . 

Last edited by a moderator: