Need to get a Tester (MFT)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Time for me to purchase a sparkly new MFT. Never actually owned one, always used works (no longer work there).

I'm after some opinions.

I don't have a load of cash atm, I know with testers you generally get what you pay for and if you ask 10 sparkies what is best, you will get 10 different answers.

I was hoping for something around £6-700 inc. VAT and soon realised this limits my options quite a bit, but it's all I have to work with. Pretty much on my arshe at moment. I'm working and the place has let me borrow short term, but I need to get it sorted.

Thoughts so far:

• I like the price / features value of the Kewtech KT64DL and have seen many reviews raving about it being good. Downside seems to be leads, which can be changed. Also for me, no phase rotation is taking the cherry off the cake. I do a bit of commercial so comes in handy but not necessarily a deal breaker. ISSWWW @Megger Jase have it on for £545 +vat, or a pro kit, with loads of goodies, also for £545 + vat (can't figure that pricing). I have seen it in my local eddys for £466 + vat which seems a little too good, so not sure if it was a mistake.
  • Metrel seem like a lot of features for price, but everyone I have used seems to have buttons that do whacky things. Not what they should actaully do. Assuming this is common. Also, I bloody hate the small, cheaper, funny shaped ones. Absolutely terrible to use, need arms like an octopus.
  • Last tester I used at last co. was a Dilog 9110 and I actually quite liked it. MOst reviews say it's pants. The only downside for me was it wasn't rechargeable. Also not too sure how it would stand the test of time. It feels rather Fluke'ish but with cheaper materials. Soft rubber buttons and cheaper rotary, etc
  • I need something that can at least take rechargeable batteries. Better if able to charge inside, but I don't mind removing to charge. Kewtech seem to be ok with this.
  • Megger. Many see them as the cream of the crop. I can't justify the price and the few people I have seen with them have mentioned whacky readings, especially through RCD's. The new ones state to be better, new tech for RCD's, but come at the premium.
  • Fluke, I've always liked the look of fluke and had good experience with them. Think I would need the 1663 though and a little out of reach price wise.
  • Lastly, I don't want 2nd hand. I'm not a snob, but this is a big investment for me and I would like the warranty period. And more importantly, not to buy a lemon.

I guess at the moment I'm swaying towards the KT64DL but would like some of you lots opinions, I rate them more highly than internet randoms who may have been paid to say good things. It looks strange in shape, but if it works and is reliable, I game! I like that it does L-L loop, shame about the phase rotation.

Discuss!

Cheers

I have used the older kt64 and to be fair it wasn’t a bad piece of kit, I have the fluke 1664FC which after the fluke cash back was a bargain price via isswww I’d be surprised if @Megger Jase couldn’t do you a good deal on a 1663 which may come in at a similar price to kt64 ?? :C  

First, to put thing into context...

Meters are a bit like vehicles IMHO...

The use you want it for and the type of work you are doing can be a significant factor in your choice...

So... Me personally after leaving school straight to work.. Into bucket loads of industry around the Midlands, (some big names, others just noisy, messy, foundry's, metal working etc.. etc..),

And after take-overs and mergers with national companies, having to then travel here there any anywhere.. (e.g. one day; Midlands to Devon 1st job, Cornwall 2nd job back home after leaving Truro approx. 7:00pm).. 

Then finding my job was redundant, after 5+ years of management & regional restructures following the last take-over... thought Ohh.. what do I do now?

After applying for numerous jobs and registering with agencies etc..

Decided to go self employed , and as at that time had young family with children wanting to see Dad before they go to bed, thought try to keep work local!

So back in 1999 started working for myself doing 80%+ domestic local work, time minimal, family time maximum!!!

Now pretty much 99% domestic, 95%+ within 5 mile radius of home...

20+ years trading good customer base..

loads of regular old customers plus new word-of-mouth contacts every week..

So back when part P was introduced Registered for DI so I could sign off my own work, Plus thought get a newer meter...

So we now get to Kewtech…..

I have NO idea about that model you mention..

But I did get a KT62 back around 2005.. 

Can't remember what it was.. But something went 'pop' in the first 12months... (One of the ranges stopped working?)..

Supplier did a no problem warranty replacement....  (first calibration cert for replacement meter dated 27 Jan 2006)

Since then this replacement KT62 has just carried on working..

Never had any problems with it...

Still got it..  Last calibration (by 'SIS') dated 12 Feb 2018.. All Good!

During this time I have bought 1 new set of each leads each.. (Continuity & Earth loop)..

The KT62 wont do Auto RCD testing..

So also got a KTD50 back in 2015, which does do Auto RCD..

That is also working fine no problems..

So from personal first hand experience.. I have no grumbles about Kewtech kit. 

It is Ok for the work I do..

(aren't the early Kewtech's like mine basically re-branded & housed Robin Kit?)

Just as an aside..

Although the Kewtech's are all good and within calibration spec...

From way back when I started out I also still have a Metrotest Earth Loop tester, which I have been told is actually more accurate than the Kewtech!

:popcorn    Guinness  

Just to update everyone, I decided on getting a Fluke 1663 which I got at a pretty decent price. Well I think it is anyways.

It turned up 2 days ago and had a couple of goes on it. Seems all good so far.

(aren't the early Kewtech's like mine basically re-branded & housed Robin Kit?)
Thats right Specs   I think they swallowed up Robin .  

I've been using a KT  no-trip Loop tester for about 20 yrs  ,   my mate has a KT multi tester for at least 15 yrs ...both still functioning .     Unfortunately my mate's tester trips RCDs  ,  mine only trips RCBO's .