4th wire confusion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacer75

Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone able to tell me what the forth wire on a light is please. I know live, neutral and earth but not sure where a 4th wire should be connected. So any help would be appreciated.

I can't seem to attach a photo unless you can tell me how then I'm happy to post it to help

Thanks for your help. It's a silver wire with a streak of green through it. If it is the earth through the light would I just wire that into the earth on the ceiling rose?

I got an ac detector for behind walls but nothing else. Any way else I could test?

I can make out a brown stripe  ..a blue stripe  and the Gn/yell ,  as Rob says , get a 9V  battery  & car lamp & complete the circuit down that extra wire and back from the body of the fitting  , which we'd assume was metal .     Can't think what else it could be but strange things happen .  

That fitting has TWO earth wires.  The silver one with a green thread goes down to earth the bit on the bottom of the pendant, and the short green / yellow earths the bit that is screwed to the ceiling.  BOTH must be connected to the earth of the cable feeding the light.