Central heating problem.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoffel

Reaction score
Hi Folks, 

Your assistance and experience is required please! 

My Honeywell programmer is automatically switching from "Off" to "Auto". I have selected "Off" because its summer, I think! :)

I can come home to a suana sometimes, other times I find it on "Auto", waiting for the next program time, which is not good. The hot water is on "continuous" as per normal, no obvious problems there, although, saying that, we noticed that the boiler seems to be on when you're not expecting it. IE: middle of the day and no one is at home, so why would hot water be needed to fill immersion? (Boiler is not on due heating at this stage.)

What I've done thus far:

1. I have changed the programmer and room stat. 

Any suggestions please, would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Yours in anticipation, 

DESPERATE DAN

I take it it's a storage type hot water system.

This will have heat losses and the boiler will run periodically whenever "continuous" is selected to top up the stored heat.

What sort of programmer is it?

Can you not just turn down the room thermostat to turn the heating off?

Hi Folks, 

Your assistance and experience is required please! 

My Honeywell programmer is automatically switching from "Off" to "Auto". I have selected "Off" because its summer, I think! :)

I can come home to a suana sometimes, other times I find it on "Auto", waiting for the next program time, which is not good. The hot water is on "continuous" as per normal, no obvious problems there, although, saying that, we noticed that the boiler seems to be on when you're not expecting it. IE: middle of the day and no one is at home, so why would hot water be needed to fill immersion? (Boiler is not on due heating at this stage.)

What I've done thus far:

1. I have changed the programmer and room stat. 

Any suggestions please, would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Yours in anticipation, 

DESPERATE DAN

Could be a stuck valve and its associated micro switch, firing the boiler. Is this a wired or wireless system?  Why did you change the programmer and room stat? Had you proved them to have further faults on top of the symptoms you described? Or were you just randomly replacing parts with no prior diagnostics or testing to establish what is or isn't working.

Doc H.