Oven tripping RCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnStorry

Reaction score
Dear Sirs

My 7 year old De Dietrich double oven has started tripping my RCD even when the oven is not turned on. The electrician I called out said the fuse board and all cabling are correct and it is a problem with the oven. Any suggestions what I could do to narrow down the issue? What are likely cost ranges if I call out service engineer? Based in London. 

Kind regards. 

John

When you say the oven is OFF  do you mean it's OFF at the wall isolator  or you are just not cooking ? 

Could be a fault on the oven supply cable  or the control / timer electronics , or a neutral  to earth fault on an element . 

Is the RCD dedicated purely for the oven circuit? or do you have one of the all to common cheap and nasty dual RCD boards with multiple circuits sharing the same RCD?  Dual RCD, multi circuit per RCD boards can have circuits that are switched Off, able to trip the RCD due to common neutral & earth paths which any one of the other live circuits can flow down to cause the RCD to operate.

Doc H.

An insulation fault on the element, if close to the neutral end will trip it.  I have also had a similar fault on a fan motor.

Did the electrician not offer (or did you not ask) to take the covers off the oven and check basic things like that?

I just sorted a cooker on New Years Eve that was tripping RCD on a dual RCD board. Narrowed it down to a neutral control wire inside the cooker, used the old wire to pull through a new one. On the old wire about half way along there was a small piece of insulation missing.  This was down to the action of Ratty McRat Face, there was clear evidence of rat work at the back of and in the cooker plus the home owners had heard the scratching noise of them at work. 

As a side note this house was spotless and well looked after, and during the next couple of weeks they caught the family of rats, but not before they had chewed a bit of cable on their dish washer a couple of days later.

their teeth never stop growing so have to be worn down, this in turn means they often knaw at anything they can get their teeth into, especially if in a house where their diet probably consists of softish food.

I believe there is also a chemical in PVC that makes it quite attractive to rodents. 

May be a myth that I read, but makes sense, there's often plenty of wood etc in houses for them to chew on. 

from what I've seen they will nibble wood as well as cable, I think they work on whatever is closest to their nest / sleeping spot. What I don't understand is they knaw the Live side twice as much as the Neutral...

Interesting comment about eating the live side.  I had a problem with a squirrel in a roof space. It ate the outer sheath and much of the red pvc of about a metre of T+E, without touching the black side, - and without electrocuting itself!

Interesting comment about eating the live side.  I had a problem with a squirrel in a roof space. It ate the outer sheath and much of the red pvc of about a metre of T+E, without touching the black side, - and without electrocuting itself!

every rodent damaged cable I have ever seen has been like this, it does make you wonder why?

from what I've seen they will nibble wood as well as cable, I think they work on whatever is closest to their nest / sleeping spot. What I don't understand is they knaw the Live side twice as much as the Neutral...
It's not rocket science really, is it?

obviously they get a buzz out of it!

I thank yow!