problem with duel-fuel heated towel rail

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Gilbert

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a duel-fuel heated towel rail, and now that our central heating has been switched off for summer, it is only getting hot in one small part. I tried bleeding it and removing the caps at the top and I can't see any liquid in there, so I wonder if the problem is that there is not enough fluid to circulate and warm it up.

Would it be a mistake just to pour some water in (e.g. up to 90% so that it can expand) or is this a job that needs a professional plumber / electrictian?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Sam

It should be full of water from your central heating system, so that's where the problem lies. 

If you have a pressurised system it needs filling and pressurising, usually via a top-up loop near the boiler.

If you have the older type "open" heating system there must be no water in the header tank which is usually in the loft. This is often caused by a stuck ball valve.

Don't forget to put your towel rail back together before rectifying either of the above, then bleed it  of air, just like a radiator.

Latest posts