Home arlarm upgrade advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilpick

Reaction score
Hi.  Currently have a Cooper Menvier 9651 home alarm system installed with 3 PIRs and 2 door contacts that I want to upgrade.  Essentially I want to keep the existing infrastructure (wiring / PIRs / contacts / outside bell box) unchanged but upgrade to give me 'smart access' that is connected to my home wifi - basically so I can view current alarm status / arm-disarm remotely through an online app.  I may also want to install an additional PIR but won't be able to put in wiring so would look at a battery powered wireless PIR.

Is it simply the case that I just need to just purchase a new main alarm control panel / box and keypad to replace the existing units with the required functionality and connect the existing wiring?  If so, any recommendations on what systems / units to go for?  Many thanks.

Essentially I want to keep the existing infrastructure (wiring / PIRs / contacts / outside bell box) unchanged

I'm not an expert on alarms nut the ones I've seen are either Wired or Wireless.  I've not seem on that can use both.

I'm sure if there is one out there then someone on the forum will correct me, and also recommend one for you.

I'm not an expert on alarms nut the ones I've seen are either Wired or Wireless.  I've not seem on that can use both.

ill correct you. texecom is both, i.e a 64-w panel has 4 built in wired zones, you can also fit additional wired expanders. itll also take wireless sensors, and you could fit another wireless expander if you wanted (i.e too far from the panel for the mesh to work correctly etc). or if you get a non wireless panel you can add a wireless expander to it

many other manufacturers are the same

Risco  LightSys. can accept hard wired or wireless detectors. I install these as standard. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Risco  LightSys. can accept hard wired or wireless detectors. I install these as standard. 
Thanks.  Do these systems also have 'smart' functionality so it will connect to my home wifi network to allow me to access the alarm system remotely through a mobile app?

ill correct you. texecom is both, i.e a 64-w panel has 4 built in wired zones, you can also fit additional wired expanders. itll also take wireless sensors, and you could fit another wireless expander if you wanted (i.e too far from the panel for the mesh to work correctly etc). or if you get a non wireless panel you can add a wireless expander to it

many other manufacturers are the same
Thanks.  Do these systems also have 'smart' functionality so it will connect to my home wifi network to allow me to access the alarm system remotely through a mobile app?

yes. can connect to home phone, mobile network, cloud, Risco do app for remote control.

yes, texecom connect. controlled from phone

yes, texecom connect. controlled from phone
Thanks.  Sorry for all the questions - can you recommend a particular 'model' - seems to be lots of types to choose from.  All I need it is to connect 3 existing hard wired PIRs / 2 door contacts to and possibly adding an additional wireless PIR as well as the 'smart functionality' I'd previously mentioned.  Many thanks.

1 minute ago, Telectrix said:

my choice is the Lightsys, but others prefer Texecom. 

Thanks.  Have been searching on the internet and struggling to find online retailers that sell the lightsys2 system.  There are some that offer a whole package including installation but not just to purchase the equipment alone.  

you need to be a registered installer to buy from Risco. they do a course on the system. I went  earlier this year.  

Thanks.  Sorry for all the questions - can you recommend a particular 'model' - seems to be lots of types to choose from.  All I need it is to connect 3 existing hard wired PIRs / 2 door contacts to and possibly adding an additional wireless PIR as well as the 'smart functionality' I'd previously mentioned.  Many thanks.

64-w. wireless kit with 4 onboard zones. youll also need a texecom connect to connect it to the internet (wifi or wired). app is free download

You're looking for a system similar to mine, you would need the following components for what you are trying to achieve:

I shall be using TPE instead of repeatedly putting "Texecom Premier Elite".

TPE 48 Control Panel (you could buy the 24, but I pick the 48 as it allows for expansion, as well as coming in a metal case instead of a plastic one).

TPE LCDP Proximity Remote Control Keypad (this keypad supports RFID fobs for arming/disarming the system, you could purchase a simpler, cheaper control panel such as the TPE Standard LCD Remote Keypad, or the TPE LCDL Large Screen Remote Keypad).

TPE 8XP Remote Zone Expander (you can hold off on this, this is what turns the system into what is called a "hybrid system", a system which uses both wired and wireless. You will only need this component when you decide to install your additional wireless PIR. This particular unit supports up to 8 devices, if you think you would ever need more than that, please look at the TPE 32XP-W Ricochet Wireless Expander, this allows up to 32 wireless devices).

Finally for the remote arming and disarming of the system you will need the Texecom Connect SmartCom Ethernet and Wifi Communicator. As the name states this can be connected using either ethernet or WiFi (obviously ethernet is the better choice if you can run the cable).

You may also wish to purchase the Texecom USB-COM Interface Connector. It is a little pricy for what it is, but speaking from personal experience, it makes setting up the new system 10 times easier than trying to do it all from the panel. This wire would allow you to connect the alarm to your computer and then complete all the configuration using Texecom's "Wintex" software (I think you have to register on Texecom's website as an alarm installer to access it, but there is no "vetting process" so anyone can do it).

Bare in mind that the sensors could use an older style of wiring not supported by the new panel. Without further information it is hard to advise you. However if you could get a picture of the inside of the current box and post it, it may go a long way to helping us to assist you.

I'd also be happy to provide any help you need in configuration of any new systems.

Good luck!

TPE 8XP Remote Zone Expander (you can hold off on this, this is what turns the system into what is called a "hybrid system", a system which uses both wired and wireless.

nope. thats a wired expander for an additional 8 wired zones (along with a few outputs & other stuff). nothing wireless about it. the wireless expander is different

Finally for the remote arming and disarming of the system you will need the Texecom Connect SmartCom Ethernet and Wifi Communicator.

no such thing as 'wifi communicator'.  there used to be a comIP & comwifi. both of these were replaced with a smartcom which can be hard wired or wifi.

You may also wish to purchase the Texecom USB-COM Interface Connector. It is a little pricy for what it is, but speaking from personal experience, it makes setting up the new system 10 times easier than trying to do it all from the panel

if you know what you are doing, you can use wintex without the USB lead to setup the panel

Bare in mind that the sensors could use an older style of wiring not supported by the new panel.
unlikely. unless its ID biscuits then the texecom would accept pretty much any older style wiring. just needs the correct settings for what type of circuit it is...

nope. thats a wired expander for an additional 8 wired zones (along with a few outputs & other stuff). nothing wireless about it. the wireless expander is different
Apologies, instead of "TPE 8XP Remote Zone Expander" I meant Texecom 8XP-W Ricochet Wireless Expander, thank you for spotting my error (this would also translate into Texecom Ricochet 32XP-W Ricochet Wireless Expander).

no such thing as 'wifi communicator'.  there used to be a comIP & comwifi. both of these were replaced with a smartcom which can be hard wired or wifi
When I said "Wifi Communicator" I was explaining the ways in which the Texecom Connect device can communicate, either by Ethernet or Wifi, sorry if this confused you.

if you know what you are doing, you can use wintex without the USB lead to setup the panel
As for the USB lead, you say "if you know what you're doing", it appears the person who has asked this question doesn't, which is why I recommended it.

unlikely. unless its ID biscuits then the texecom would accept pretty much any older style wiring. just needs the correct settings for what type of circuit it is...
The wiring, I agree it is unlikely to be a problem, but it is better to be safe than sorry and I was simply trying to make sure we covered all bases.

Latest posts