Electric Pulley System?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JF24

Reaction score
Hi there, 

Just recently joined and wondered if any of you guys could offer some advice/ tips for a challenge I'm facing.

I'm a tortoise keeper and I've recently been designing a setup to house a non-hibernating species over winter. This, of course, requires the use of heat lamps and UV-B lighting. The UV-B lighting is provided by a fluorescent tube in a canopy with reflector.

I would very much like to control the increase and decrease of UV intensity over the course of the day in line with a wild habitat. For example, UV output is lower in the morning, reaches its highest intensity just after midday and then slowly declines until sunset. I would like to use some kind of electric pulley system that could raise/ lower the UV-B unit via a timer to replicate the UV increase/ decrease just as it is in nature?

Any advice, links etc would be much appreciated! 

Thanks, 

J

I’m sensing that a programmable controller may be in order? 

However professor Heinz would suggest an egg shaped cam on a rotating spindle akin to a rotisserie on a slow turning motor? 

The motor I’d use is a Drayton with a built in gearbox. Output shaft 1.2 RPM with enough torque to break your wrist.

Control, a mini PLC would be the best bet.

It all comes down to cost and it ain’t going to be cheap. There again, how much is a tortoise worth? Ethically I have a problem with this as a project.

Many thanks for everyone's suggestions they are very helpful! With regards to most dimmers, they only appear to dim for a short period of time (an hour each end of sunrise/ sunset) so aren't really useful. I've been told that dimming reptile UVB fluorescents diminishes the UV output over a quicker period of time and contributes to the early 'death' of the bulb. No idea if that is true though just some observations of other reptile keepers. I will look into the products recommended.  Thank you. 

The motor I’d use is a Drayton with a built in gearbox. Output shaft 1.2 RPM with enough torque to break your wrist.

Control, a mini PLC would be the best bet.

It all comes down to cost and it ain’t going to be cheap. There again, how much is a tortoise worth? Ethically I have a problem with this as a project.
Thank you for your suggestion, Tony. I will take a look. Ethically I'd be interested to know your views