Intergrated dishwasher been plugged into extension lead?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica

Reaction score
In the process of unplugging my integrated dishwasher as currys are fitting a new one tomorrow. 

However, a bit shocked to discover all this time the old one had been plugged into an extension lead (for the past 10 years).

I can't tell what amp the extension lead is, or even see where this extension lead is plugged into, or if it's wound round or anything without demolishing half the kitchen units to find the rest of it.  A handful of times the electric has tripped when the dishwasher has been on but I can't say this was very definitely the culprit. Bare in mind we've used it nearly every day for the last 9 years. 

On touching the extension lead with the dishwasher running the plug wasn't warm at all.

So I have a few questions. And please forgive my total lack of knowledge! 

1. Should I instead drill into my worktop to lead the dishwasher plug up to a double wall socket instead? Can the fitter do this?

2. How do I know this double socket will be safe and fitted properly if the previous owner was a bodger? (They are definitely not original sockets as the kitchen was Previously a bedroom) 

3. Or how can I find out if the extension lead is safe?

4.Will the fitter be able to measure this? 

5. Will the fitter be reluctant to plug it into extension lead? 

6. Does anyone know how long the dishwasher power cord is likely to be? 

Any ideas please? 

Thank you lovelies. 

"Kitchen fitters" are not held in great esteem here. We all frequently encounter "interesting" examples of kitchen wiring.

The only sure answer is to get a proper electrician to check out the kitchen wiring and make any alterations he feels needed.  

In the mean time let the fitter just plug it in where the old one was.

Drilling a hole in the worktop to feed the flex up to plug it in above is right up there with kitchen fitter bodges. Don't do it.

It'll probably be fine for another 10 years, dishwashers don't have a heavy current draw, but, at some point the fuse in the plug for said lead will blow, and then you will have to find where it is plugged in anyway. So better to investigate now whilst it's not an 'emergency'.