20A DP Switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz3451

Reaction score
Hi apologises if it's been covered, just new to the site and looking for advice please.

I'm having a new kitchen put in and looking to fit 20A DP grid swtiches above worktop level to isolate low level sockets underneath controlling a tumble dyer, washing machine (these sockets will be wired as part of the kitchen ring) and also control under cabinet lights to make it part of a 3 gang swtich. 

Can the supply side of the grid swtiches be wired as part of the kitchen ring to control the low level sockets which will be on the load side of the swtich. I'm unsure if this is possible as the DP swtich at the supply end are rated at 20A and the kitchen ring is 32A. The load side of the DP swtich will be going to an appliance rated at 13A however.

Also can the under cabinet lights be ran off the kitchen ring to a fused spur or does this need to be ran from the lighting circuit?

Thanks in advance 

There is no issue in doing it the way you say depending on what is being plugged into the socket outlets and that the ring circuit has RCD protection. Loads over 2KW should have their own dedicated circuit. 

Last edited by a moderator:
personally, I'd feed the grid switches with a dedicated radial 4.0mm on a 32A MCB/RCBO. keep the heavy loads off the RFC.

Brilliant thanks for both of your advice.

Only thing that might be a issue is I would need to chase out the back box for the grid swtich and then a splashback would then be placed over this which will be by a few mm.

Would this cause the individual grid swtiches not sit flush when the faceplate when screwed against the splashback or should I leave the knockout box out of the wall by a few mm to a accomodate this once the splashback is installed?

Leave the back box flush to the wall as it is. The yokes can be adjusted to suit the final wall finish. 

Leave the back box flush to the wall as it is. The yokes can be adjusted to suit the final wall finish. 

Spot on mate Flicker I forgot the yokes will sit flush on the splashback then the faceplate will be screwed on top of this. 

Also can the under cabinet lights be ran off the supply side of the grid swtich kitchen ring to a fused spur or does this need to be ran from the 6A lighting circuit? 

Cheers

Also can the under cabinet lights be ran off the supply side of the grid swtich kitchen ring to a fused spur or does this need to be ran from the 6A lighting circuit?

You can either add a switched fuse spur to the kitchen circuit for the under cabinet lights, so you can switch the lights on or off, or put it on the light circuit.  You would have to add a switch.  The choice is yours.

You can either add a switched fuse spur to the kitchen circuit for the under cabinet lights, so you can switch the lights on or off, or put it on the light circuit.  You would have to add a switch.  The choice is yours.

Thanks Spoon that's a great help, cheers 

You could just have a large enough grid switch system to encompass a fuse and switch for the cabinet lights. 

Excuse the layman Sharpend but do you mean this DP swtich with fuse?

Then I take the cabinet lights feed would be wired from the fused spur DP swtich to the other DP swtich to control the cabinet lights?

Screenshot_20190809-141758_Chrome.jpg

You can put the fuse and a dp switch  on the Grid then take a the switched feed across to cabinet lights, connect lights to feed in a connection box on top of cabinet? 

Yes thats a grid fuse

You can put the fuse and a dp switch  on the Grid then take a the switched feed across to cabinet lights, connect lights to feed in a connection box on top of cabinet? 

Yes thats a grid fuse

Brilliant thanks for your advice mate 

Got a quick question if anyone can help me please.

The grid swtich supply is off the ring for the supply,  so 32A. On one grid swtich I have two options for the light switch for the under cabinet lights & I'm unsure what to order for the lights?

It has a choice of a 2 way single pole switch (for lights only) or should I get a 20A DP to switch the lights? Here is the link incase this helps and the pic.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F182396889980

Screenshot_20190831-190723_eBay.jpg