Incorrectly wired RCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSW

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help without a picture this may take some explaining!

I've got a new shower being fitted and decided to take a quick look at the consumer unit powering it. I've noticed that the VB50 B50 next to the RCD which I was expecting the shower to be using isn't wired up and the shower is wired straight into the RCD. I could do with a pointer on where the wires are meant to go.

Thanks in advance!

Well that reads as though there is NO overcurrent protection to your shower. So if the shower is ONLY connected to the RCD it is WRONG and whoever is connecting the new shower needs to get it sorted pronto

is it "being fitted" or has it 'been fitted'?

if already fitted what paperwork,and test results did you receive?

who is doing/has done this work?    Electrician?, plumber?

This is a prime example of the forum restrictions preventing a new user posting a picture, result in a new user not being able to explain his issue properly and perhaps not getting the best answer?

CSW   I believe you can use one of the photo shop  to post , or wait for a Mod to spot this thread .    

Your problem , as others have said , is potentially dangerous ,   without seeing a photo it does sound like your shower should be connected to the  B50  MCB   which probably  protects the B50   .  

This is a prime example of the forum restrictions preventing a new user posting a picture, result in a new user not being able to explain his issue properly and perhaps not getting the best answer?
I've upgraded his account so the OP can post pictures.

At one time we were getting multiple people registering and spamming the forum. It was becoming too much for the admins and the mods. Some of them not very suitable for all audiences etc. In the grand scheme of things I'd rather doctor a few accounts beloning to genuine members than be spammed multiples times per day?

@Apache thanks for that.

@Tony S I think the guy we bought the house off 2 years ago may have done it himself, otherwise I would have.

@kerching the shower is being fitted by plumber and he spotted the issue doing a survey.

Any help is really appreciated! Thanks for all the comments so far!

0_20190810_094815_HDR~3.jpg

Thanks  Apache , !

Right  its as we thought    , the RCD should be linked to the B50  and your shower connected to the B50  . 

I' ll post  a sketch  , you could probably do it yourself  ,   switch power off first .

Sketch coming up . 

Or as Tony says  , get a Sparky in 

Scan0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Get an electrician in. Dont attempt it yourself. If it's been budged that badly who knows what else could be wrong.

It’s OK saying isolate first, where does a DIYer isolate safely? I know what I’d do but I’m not telling a DIYer due to the inherent dangers.

He needs a qualified electrician.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the diagram @Evans Electric?

@Tony S thanks for the warnings, I'm currently Googling for electricians locally (any in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire on here for a quick job). I take your expert advice seriously! Thanks all!

We'll, hard to tell from pic but, if that cable is the one going OUT to the shower it doesn't look large enough to be on a B50 MCB. I assume it's a 10kW shower?
And by the same token, if it's the feed it is not big enough either.

@CSW can you confirm there are in fact cables connected into both the top and the bottom terminals of that RCD?

It worries me I can only see one wire into one terminal of the earth bar. And nothing in the neutral bar.

And as the person connecting it clearly did not know what he was doing, I would worry he has the input into the wrong end, some makes of RCD get upset and let their smoke out if you do that.