What to do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santana

Reaction score
I was called out to a house of an old lady complaining that electric light circuit was tripping after renovation work. Carried out checks found low resistance between live and eath wire to kitchen. In the back room found switch live open circuit easily rectified witha smart bulb. But what to do with earth wire ? No access to inspect laminated flooring above tried endoscope camera through one of the class 2 downlighters could see but not access junction box. The class 2 down lighters only used live and nuetral as you would expect and did not trip with earth wire to this circuit disconnected, should I shrink sleeve earth it and leave disconnected or insert resistor and connect to the nuetral?

Firstly, is this work in the UK. As the practices regarding the disconnecting earths and connecting them to neutrals is not something taught here. 

Ok, so a smart bulb is not rectifying the problem. You've left an open circuit that could have been caused by something potentially dangerous still in this dangerous condition. You need to trace the cable and find the fault. 

DO NOT start connecting the CPC to the neutral with or without resistors. Again, it's a shame you don't have easy access. The customer is going to have some disruption in finding the fault.

Power to switch live cable has been disconected it is just a dead cable now.

Firstly, is this work in the UK. As the practices regarding the disconnecting earths and connecting them to neutrals is not something taught here. 

Ok, so a smart bulb is not rectifying the problem. You've left an open circuit that could have been caused by something potentially dangerous still in this dangerous condition. You need to trace the cable and find the fault. 

DO NOT start connecting the CPC to the neutral with or without resistors. Again, it's a shame you don't have easy access. The customer is going to have some disruption in finding the fault.

The switch live cable is completely disconnected

so are you saying that you have a perm L and N with no fault. and using these for a smart bulb, switched remotely?

It wouldn’t meet NFPA NEC codes as only one NE connection at the supply point is allowed.

To be honest nothing in this thread makes any sense.

sorry to butt in but i am curious of the resistor that is going to be used here. i understand that this is a little while ago and the problem has most likely been solved but could someone please explain the issue with the earth, resistor and neutral.

from what i gather of the post, there is a lighting circuit which should have a switch to operate it. there is an live to earth fault, shown by a low resistance and an open switch wire and an earth that seems to be going nowhere. the lights use L and N, class 2 so no earth. is it not usual practice to include an earth in case metal cased (class 1) fittings are used? so the earth should be terminated in wago/choc? 

i think that the smart bulb is remote controlled so maybe the switch is open as it was already there and now not needed, that too should be terminated wago/chocblock? 

the earth to neutral through a resistor is intriguing though, is this a usual "house bashing" technique?

i am new to this in a way and dont know everything, so i included this stuff to show my understanding or lack of, the situation. and this is what its all about, learning new things and solving problems.

thanks

all the best

simon