Sub metering

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheresmyterminal

Reaction score
Haven’t posted for quite some time, it’s come a long way since I was last here. Hoping that someone can shed some light on this for me please. Sorry quite a long one.

My customer has 9 light industrial units. Each unit has its own MID approved single phase sub meter. There is a 3 phase land lord DB that feeds some flood lights and not much else which is not sub metered. To find out what the landlord usage is, he has been reading each sub meters total KWh and adding them all up then deducting this from the main LEB 3 phase meter reading. The KWh result is far more than expected for what is being used from the landlord DB. He’s worried that he’s not charging his tenants enough for electricity and that the single phase meters are not reading correctly. I have checked them and they are installed and set up correctly. My gut feeling is that this is the wrong way to go about it but I’m not sure of the maths. Hope this makes some sense.

The single phase meters will be recording KWh.  The 3 phase main meter could well be recording KVAh.  If so with a poor power factor the 3 phase meter will read more than the sum of the single phase meters.

The single phase meters will be recording KWh.  The 3 phase main meter could well be recording KVAh.  If so with a poor power factor the 3 phase meter will read more than the sum of the single phase meters.
I,posted exactly same thing yesterday and my post has been eaten....not for the first time either!

bit weird