Advice?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomasWare

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm completely new to this, and what I really want to know is: what qualifications do I need to become an electrician? I'm looking at enrolling on a course: Level 3 Diploma for Electrical Installation at Lewisham College in London, but I'm a little confused as to what this course enables me to do once I've completed it. 

Will I be able to work as an electrician after this? Will I need to do another course? And as a 21 year old what is the best way of getting into the trade? As I said I'm new to all this, and any responses would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks guys :)

Have you spoke to the college? I suspect that you will have to do a level 2 followed by the level3 with NVQ incorporating AM2, this will take a few years to complete but you will then be an electrician. 

The time studying and learning will seem like a lifetime, especially when others around you may be making more, but life is a long game, so what you invest in now will come  to fruition later. 

I spoke to the college and they said that it is a Level 3 NVQ. However, on the website it doesn't say anything about it being an NVQ. It just says "Level 3 Diploma."

I'm very confused as it doesn't seem there is a standardised course. Every course provider has a different name for what seems the same course. Or am I just being thick?

Ok two things, have you spoken to college regard your suitability to meet entry criteria, have you for the required gcse grades or the 2365 level 2? 

Secondly given that they refer to the 2365 level 2, which is the city and guilds qualification, implies that this course is the city and guilds 2365 level 3, which incorporates the NVQ requirement. You would have to confirm this with the college. You would also have to ask about the AM2 although I have heard that it is now included in the level 3 qualification. 

If you can do all this on a full time course then at the end you will be formally recognised as an electrician, however without any relevant experience you will be very very green so will need to work with an experienced spark to learn the trade.  

Ok two things, have you spoken to college regard your suitability to meet entry criteria, have you for the required gcse grades or the 2365 level 2? 

Secondly given that they refer to the 2365 level 2, which is the city and guilds qualification, implies that this course is the city and guilds 2365 level 3, which incorporates the NVQ requirement. You would have to confirm this with the college. You would also have to ask about the AM2 although I have heard that it is now included in the level 3 qualification. 

If you can do all this on a full time course then at the end you will be formally recognised as an electrician, however without any relevant experience you will be very very green so will need to work with an experienced spark to learn the trade.  
I meet the required GCSE grades. I will chat with them to see if they can confirm the AM2 you speak of, thanks for the tip :)

I'm looking to go ahead with the course and then hopefully afterwards work with a few people who are experienced etc. I'm sure the college would be able to help me afterwards...

thank you so much for your help, you're a superstar 

Keep us posted with your progression. 

I’ve come to realise that it’s not that I’m a superstar more just an experience old phart that is willing to help others. :C  

So after all of that I find out from the college that the course is only going to be a Level 2 for this year, which means I won't be able to do it after all.

I've enrolled with another course provider, which is EAL registered. I'm a little worried as the training provider has a few negative reviews floating around, which I've only seen since I've enrolled...

What do you think?

https://www.accesstraininguk.co.uk/electrical-courses/professional-electrical-course

Oh Tomas, when did you enrol? Are you within the cooling off period? You need to get out of this contract. What they teach you I learned from a readers digest book on electricity 35yrs ago.  

I meet the required GCSE grades. I will chat with them to see if they can confirm the AM2 you speak of, thanks for the tip :)

I'm looking to go ahead with the course and then hopefully afterwards work with a few people who are experienced etc. I'm sure the college would be able to help me afterwards...

thank you so much for your help, you're a superstar 

Sorry to be negative, but as someone who has been through colleges to get trained Im sorry to say that this highly unlikely. You have to remember, lecturers need work too

So after all of that I find out from the college that the course is only going to be a Level 2 for this year, which means I won't be able to do it after all.

I've enrolled with another course provider, which is EAL registered. I'm a little worried as the training provider has a few negative reviews floating around, which I've only seen since I've enrolled...

What do you think?

https://www.accesstraininguk.co.uk/electrical-courses/professional-electrical-course

Why couldn't you do the level2 college course this year, then the level 3 next year?  I would agree with Sharpend that your second choice training provider could be just an expensive waste of time, with minimal return at the end of it.

Doc H.

Oh Tomas, when did you enrol? Are you within the cooling off period? You need to get out of this contract. What they teach you I learned from a readers digest book on electricity 35yrs ago.  
I havent enrolled and have cancelled the course :)  I'm looking to try and sort out a Level 2 C&G for this year at a bonafide college!

Why couldn't you do the level2 college course this year, then the level 3 next year?  I would agree with Sharpend that your second choice training provider could be just an expensive waste of time, with minimal return at the end of it.

Doc H.
It was a money issue, I can only get an advanced learner loan for a L3 course. However, after speaking to my Dad he said he could help me fund a L2 course. So fingers crossed :)

Well done Tomas, thought for a minute that you might of had a battle on your hands.  

I know it may seem to be a long winded way of achieving a trade, but you will not be sorry if you stick at it, I don’t wish to paint roses and say it’s not tuff at times but if you keep your head down and learn with confidence then you really can earn a good weekly wage when you’re qualified. 

Latest posts