Installing mains ring in garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art vanderlay

Reaction score
Hi,

I have power to my detached garage via an armoured cable that runs from a 30A fuse in my consumer unit. At the moment it just goes into a junction box and runs out to a single 2-gang socket.

My question is can I run a mains ring around the garage instead and is this something that I need to have inspected / completed by a qualified electrician?

Thanks

First thing , we always say get an electrician in .   Then if you're determined to have a go yourself we can offer advice up to a point .   

On the face of it , it sounds promising . 

1)   Any idea what size your  armoured cable is  & how many cores ?

2)  Has it been installed professionally  ?

3) Is it backed up by an RCD  ?

4)  An option is to fit a small consumer unit in the garage .   Would you be prepared to tackle that ?   

Thanks for responding. The armoured cable has been installed professionally and is backed up by an RCD, but I don't know about the number of cores. I had an electrician check the whole house / garage when we moved in to ensure that everything was safe (I got some kind of certification?). He replaced one of my consumer units (I have 2) at the time becasue it was old and rubbish. They both have RCD and the garage is on it's own 30A fuse.

If I have to have a consumer unit in the garage I'll probably leave it. I just really want to add a few more sockets rather than running off multiplugs from the 2-gang I have.

Cheers

When you say  "Fuse "  do you mean an MCB   ( Circuit breaker)  

A simple way ,  assuming theres an RCD  and assuming the size of the armoured cable is OK ,    could be to replace the " 30 A Fuse"  with  a 16A    MCB  and daisy chain your extra plugs in the garage   .  There'll be a general outcry to this method because it doesn't fit into today's thinking    but its safe enough , you can't overload it and unless you plan to do arc welding  in there it will be fine .   

It will however mean opening your consumer unit and electrocuting yourself  which is not to be recommended . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, sorry, it is an MCB32. Thanks for the advice. Instead of daisy-chaining, is it ok to take 2 or 3 lines out of the junction box radially? If so, would you still recommend switching out the 32A for a 16A MCB?

Is this stuff ok (legally) to do myself or do I need a qualified person?

Thanks again.

I don't think theres anything  "Legal"  about it ,  as opposed to fiddling with gas , where you can even end up in prison .   

If you are happy you are not going to kill  your family then the ruling is , I believe ,   the householder is responsible for the safety of his electrics  ,  he usually does this by employing  a qualified electrician .   However many do their own with varying levels of skill.  

There are no " Electric Police " likely to turn up to arrest you ...however you need 

Building regulations specify , under Part P  that electrics are carried out by a "Competent  person"   which usually means  they belong to  Domestic Installers Scheme  as many do on here. 

You still need to reduce the rating of the MCB , by taking it down to 16A  .     That will protect the circuit from overloading , a 32A  is too big .   And yes you can spider wire it from your junction box .

Have you any idea how you would do it  ?  Do you know what cable to use , how to install it etc ,.. the importance of earthing  and the fact that you won't have the instruments to check it when finished .  

Sorry to be negative  ,  the Forum can't be responsible for  what you do in your house  but it must be carried out in a safe & professional manner  that won't endanger people. .  

As above mate, there is no "legal" requirement for an electrician to do this work.  You are extending a circuit, so no Part P.

If there is a fire in the garage, due to the electrics, then your insurance will ask for an electrical cert for the wire changes.  If you can't produce one and they find out you did the work then your insurance will be null and void and they won't pay out.

safer to get an electrician in to do the work. Then you get a cert.

C.Y.A.

I don't see anything wrong with making a ring final from the junction box.  The good old "lolipop" circuit. Probably a lot more satisfactory that trying to squeeze 3 or 4 sets of cables into the junction box.

If you want to feed a lighting circuit, take that from the ring final via a Fused Connection unit with a 3A fuse in it.

thanks to all, that really helps. In the end I think I'll just get someone in to do it for the peace of mind.

cheers