Hello, and an apology

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
It wiuld be very rude of me to join and say nothing, but I thinkI have joined the wrong forum.  You see, I have a 1993 Renault Trafic, and yesterday did the fool's trick of trying to put the battery on backwards. It didn't even dawn on me when I was struggling to get the leads to reach, and got sparks from the terminal. The battery still holds 12volts, but I think that I may have blown the main fuse. My problem is that even Renault can't tell me where to find that! While I am here, does anybody have any idea about where I should be looking for the problem please?

Many thanks, feel free to laugh at my stupidity, and I apologise for coming to the wrong place.

might be located within the + terminal assembly on the battery itself. failing that, a fuse/relay box in the engine compartment.

Definitely the wrong Forum but no need to apologise ,  I had a Renault Trafic   25 yrs ago  which is of no use to you whatsoever because I can't remember where anything was on it .  

Good luck & follow Sharpen's  post above . 

I must admit, I’m thinking that the ECU would be damaged. 

possibly. if there's enough current been flowing to blow the fuses then its had to come from somewhere, most likely though electronics...

wonder if the ECU is sealed well enough to keep the smoke in and stop is escaping?

The alternator is what I would expect to be the first casualty, then yes, I would be praying for my ECU.  It just may escape, as the voltage would be greatly reduced by the fault current before the fusible link melted.  Other electronics would probably be OK as long as the ignition switch was off. 

Have you found the "main fuse", AKA "fusible link" ?  On recent vehicles I've seen its usually right by the battery.  After all, its purpose in life is to prevent vehicle fires due to shorted wiring.   (Comments based on generic vehicle systems; I know nothing about Renault).

I have a 2011 Vivaro and most of the auxiliary fuses are in the side of the dashboard on the passenger side (accessed when the door is open)... haven't a clue about the main fuses though I'm afraid

Not sure i have even seen a vehicle with a "main fuse" As geoff says, i would expect the alternator will now be scrap.. How long did you leave he battery the wrong way round?? Did you not notice the terminals are different sizes??

john..

Not sure i have even seen a vehicle with a "main fuse" As geoff says, i would expect the alternator will now be scrap.. How long did you leave he battery the wrong way round?? Did you not notice the terminals are different sizes??

john..

It’s quite common. Many are rated 150/200 Amps. You have to take “cranking (starting) current” in to account.

I fitted a 300A fuse to a narrow boat to get it through its inspection and licensing.

john..
Got one on the XC90 and one on the Sedona....so that's 100% success rate from me 😂