something wrong fuse keeps blowing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainiiii

Reaction score
so, had a perfectly working external sensor flood light connected to power originating from a fused heater switch (which borrowed power from a near by plug inside the house). all good.

today though, i cut into the wire, connected a new light switch and a new light. the goal was for the new switch to control the new light, while the sensor light to remain the same as before.

now, with the switch at one position, the sensor light works as before, and the new light stays on. when i flip the switch though, the heater switch fuse blows, and both lights no longer work of course.

i have checked and there are no visible wires touching other wires but perhaps i joined them wrong? all neutrals together, same for live and ground. how to attach my electrical "diagram" and some photos?

thanka

Most likely the new switch when in one position is connecting Live to Neutral.  how or why I can't tell you but did you use the 'spare' terminal on the switch to connect the neutrals together by any chance ?

Sounds like you've created a "Dead short"   .                      Are you in the USA  by any chance ?  I notice you used the terms " Flip the switch "  and  " Ground" 

Just saying  as this is a UK  Forum  although you are most welcome .  

check your wiring of the  switch, it should only be switching the Live, neatral should be in a connector blcok, not connected to the switch terminals.

Last edited by a moderator:
 thanks for the answers. the switch has places for live and neutral cables and i connected them all.

so you are saying i should disconnect both the neutral cables from the switch??? (one neutral is going from the switch to the light. the other one is between the switch and the "main" cable.

i'm in Cyprus actually, we have the british electrical standard 220v

Most likely the new switch when in one position is connecting Live to Neutral.  how or why I can't tell you but did you use the 'spare' terminal on the switch to connect the neutrals together by any chance ?

so that is spare?? whats its purpose then?

So originally you had one cable with two cores red &black? Live and neutral. You wanted to put a switch in this cable? 

The live core only should go through the switch, the neutral cores should just be rejoined together not in switch. Earth to be continuous. 

What are the markings on the switch terminals?

does cyprus use double Pole switches?

i know it is all to 7671...... but some of it is a very loose interpretation of the actual wording, very loose indeed
one is marked L. the other has no marking. there is also a copper inside corner. colors for cables are blue for neutral, yellow/green for ground and brown for live.

So originally you had one cable with two cores red &black? Live and neutral. You wanted to put a switch in this cable? 

The live core only should go through the switch, the neutral cores should just be rejoined together not in switch. Earth to be continuous. 
so simply remove the neutrals from the switch and just join them together? i will try that later today.

with your answers and a bit of thought i figured it out, i was a retard and had connected the switch all wrong.

first mistake: i had both N wires on the slot that the switch controls.

second mistake: i had both live cables (from main and for the light itself) both connected on the L slot.

now both n connected together on connector block.

live from main on L of switch.

live of light on "spare" of switch. please check picture

now no fuse blown, and light turns on and off

thanks, i was about to spend money on an electrician..

Last edited by a moderator:
with your answers and a bit of thought i figured it out, i was a retard and had connected the switch all wrong.

first mistake: i had both N wires on the slot that the switch controls.

second mistake: i had both live cables (from main and for the light itself) both connected on the L slot.

now both n connected together on connector block.

live from main on L of switch.

live of light on "spare" of switch. please check picture

now no fuse blown, and light turns on and off

thanks, i was about to spend money on an electrician..
Glad to help - take it slowly next time