Advice on hmo wiring!! please help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougquade

Reaction score
Hi My mate has purchased a house which is being converted into multiple occupancy (8 rooms). Unfortunately the spark passed away halfway through the job. each room has been fitted with a 2 way CU with 16a+6 breaker fed via a 4mm cable. He installed double stacked hager board with 2 main 100a breakers, kitchen and communal all on rcbos (top section) and all rooms feeds on 20a mcbs (bottom) section. The board has been fed via 25mm swa (extended)

Now is this the right way to do it? will 4mm be enough to handle the load and is connecting 8 x 4mm room loads + kitchen on one board be enough? 

Thanks 

Doug 

ps I’m a Apprentice btw  

4mm is okay on a 20A mcb and in each room that should be adequate for a 16A socket circuit and 6A light circuit.

What is he doing for RCD protection?  If there is an RCD in each room CU then he needs to make sure the installation method for the 4mm submains is one that does not trigger a requirement for that to be rcd protected.

Hi My mate has purchased a house which is being converted into multiple occupancy (8 rooms). Unfortunately the spark passed away halfway through the job. each room has been fitted with a 2 way CU with 16a+6 breaker fed via a 4mm cable. He installed double stacked hager board with 2 main 100a breakers, kitchen and communal all on rcbos (top section) and all rooms feeds on 20a mcbs (bottom) section. The board has been fed via 25mm swa (extended)

Now is this the right way to do it? will 4mm be enough to handle the load and is connecting 8 x 4mm room loads + kitchen on one board be enough? 

Thanks 

Doug 

ps I’m a Apprentice btw  
Every room has a Rcd but the boards are fed via 4mm T&E. I’m assuming ref a and b routes have been used. The incomer is 100a pme. heating and showers run off the gas boiler