DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
JBW175

Please allow me to introduce myself

JBW175

Hi everyone,

just joined the the forum and thought I’d introduce myself and say a little about my background. 

I’ve been a Marine Engineer for the last 20 years after joining the army at 16 as an apprentice and was a chief engineer on a major army landing craft (before they got sold off).

loads of experience in the maritime world where it comes to electrical & mechanical maintenance and installations. Mainly working on generators, 3 phase supply & distribution. Transformers, 230v, 110v & 24vdc supply, distribution and fault finding / rectification of final services and equipment. 

Now I’ve hit 40, the army have decided I’m too old and are putting me out to pasture. 

To that end I'm aspiring to be an electrician in the civilian world and currently working towards AM2.

Doc Hudson

Welcome to the forum, you should have minimal problem with your background to get yourself up and running. It's when people come on here, after doing a 5week make me an electrician course, with zero technical or electrical background, but they decided on a career change from Postman/Tesco checkout/Insurance call-centre assistant/Window cleaner, etc, and then wonder why members get exasperated when they ask questions about what size cable should I use for a shed with 3 sockets a light and lead to the pond pump?  Make yourself at home and join in with the banter on the various topics as and when you want to.

Doc H.

JBW175

Thanks for the welcome Doc.

I’m already enjoying reading through the posts on the forum. Found one the other day on the Ward Lennard system which took me back. We used to use that for raising and lowering the ramp on one of landing craft that went out of service c1999.

Edited by JBW175

Tony S

Ward Leonard isn’t easiest control system to understand. Good to have another member that’s worked on it.

Rob.
On 08/09/2019 at 04:14, Tony S said:

Ward Leonard isn’t easiest control system to understand. Good to have another member that’s worked on it.

I'm not envious of people who still have to fault find on such installations. 

JBW175

it was a fun system to try and get your head round as a young lad, haven't worked on one in years though.

Rob.
18 minutes ago, JBW175 said:

it was a fun system to try and get your head round as a young lad, haven't worked on one in years though.

Fun is pushing it! Haha. 

Oh the nights I spent up on the quarries OH cranes fault finding. 

I think those particular sets may still be in use, one gantry had them changed to modern VFD control, not sure about the other set.

Tony S
54 minutes ago, JBW175 said:

Fun wouldn’t be my choice ether. Six quarry navies each with three WL systems and two OH cranes = one almighty headache.

JBW175
12 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Fun wouldn’t be my choice ether. Six quarry navies each with three WL systems and two OH cranes = one almighty headache.

i feel i need to apologise as the irony was lost in my post. i can agree, it wasn't fun to learn.

seems like you had your work cut out with all them WL to look after.

Rob.
10 minutes ago, JBW175 said:

i feel i need to apologise as the irony was lost in my post. i can agree, it wasn't fun to learn.

seems like you had your work cut out with all them WL to look after.

No need to apologise, if i could go back to being 21 - 25 years old clambering over heavy machinery like I did. I would do it in a heartbeat!

Tony S
4 minutes ago, Rob. said:

No need to apologise, if i could go back to being 21 - 25 years old clambering over heavy machinery like I did. I would do it in a heartbeat!

Only if I could go on the kilns, I’ve an aversion to being cold. When I retired I’d worked on 41 different kilns and furnaces.

Evans Electric
On 08/09/2019 at 03:14, Tony S said:

I was blessed with one in the Dunlop  years ago  ...... the phrases  "  clutching at straws" .... "beyond my remit " ....  " Up shyrtte creek without a paddle" .....come back to me "  

Tony S

It's a bar steward of an idea, someone sneezes near it and it goes haywire.

G1.gif.76d2611922ab8141961089fe38fd7bee.gif

I must do something about that bloody smiley on  the DC motor! It's annoying me now!

Rob.
8 hours ago, Tony S said:

It's a bar steward of an idea, someone sneezes near it and it goes haywire.

G1.gif.76d2611922ab8141961089fe38fd7bee.gif

I must do something about that bloody smiley on  the DC motor! It's annoying me now!

Its taunting you!