Thermal Cutout Reset Button

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choperooni

Reaction score
Hi, my Dimplex XL from 1990s keeps triggering the thermal cutout button. Is it best to check the elements or should I be starting somewhere else? thanks  

Assuming it hasn't been abused by drying anything or otherwise obstructing it's airflow, then the input thermostat probably needs to be replaced. Otherwise the over temp device has become too sensitive.  Can't be the elements or it wouldn't get hot in the first place.

There are several different versions but best replace both the charge thermostat and the overheat thermostat. The usual reason for an occasional trip is the tenant can't read the bit that says "DO NOT COVER" and puts wet washing over it to dry.  If it keeps on tripping the charge thermostat is probably stuck (unless you are putting washing on it every night)

Thanks for the help.  I was told they don't make them any more so I was supplied with a conversion kit.  This seems to have done the job and the storage heater is working again. Quite pricey though at over £30.00