Acceptable jobs for Niceic domestic installer certification

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS79

Reaction score
Afternoon chaps

I've been a spark 15 years mainly sub contracting. All types of work domestic, commercial, Lul stuff aswell. Am qualified tester and done testing for alot of firms. Have gotten more and tired of big sites and so thinking of setting up to do my own domestic stuff primarily. Conundrum I'm in is that to join Niceic I need to have some works available for inspection. Because I can't tout for work really without being NIC I'm considering what jobs I can do for self or friends/family that will be ok to show for assessment. One I am thinking of doing is just an addition to ring with spur off it for outside socket for garden. This seems like quite a silly little job to show them? It also from my understanding doesn't require EIC just a MWC although it is notifiable because is outside? Has anyone some advice for jobs to consider or assessment? Thanks

Firstly there are other CPS than the NICEIC , like Elecsa, Stroma and Napit.

All can give you information on what they find acceptable for the assessment, plus exams, insurances, tools, calibration, books etc.

I think you will struggle to get a small job like you outline accepted. And it's not notifiable in England

My advice would be to speak to each of the schemes and see what they say.

A fuseboard change and a new circuit seem to be common installations people show

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will struggle to get a small job like you outline accepted. And it's not notifiable in England

Thanks Murdoch

The job is one that a family member wants doing. It's a socket on garden wall and one to her shed. My understanding was that if circuit extends outside it is notifiable am I wrong there then?

You don't have to be a member of any scheme to do notifiable work. There are other methods dealing directly with the LABC. These are outlined in Approved document P, although the notification charges are higher for non-registered contractors, if it is only for one or two jobs so as to provided a fully compliant installation to be assessed, it is not a prohibitive expense preventing work from being done by electricians who are qualified but not a scheme member. Exact costs will depend upon your LABC's charges.

Doc H.  

You don't have to be a member of any scheme to do notifiable work. There are other methods dealing directly with the LABC. These are outlined in Approved document P, although the notification charges are higher for non-registered contractors, if it is only for one or two jobs so as to provided a fully compliant installation to be assessed, it is not a prohibitive expense preventing work from being done by electricians who are qualified but not a scheme member. Exact costs will depend upon your LABC's charges.

Doc H.  

Thanks Doc. I have just ordered Part P to get better acquainted with it. I may consider doing a job and notifying it through LA just to get me off ground. Will look into charges for this. In long term though think will be best served by being with scheme should be less of hindrance to getting work hopefully 

That's a tenner could of been better spent 🙄 lol no drama always good to have physical copy. I'll leave it on table for accessor to see might help

they would be checking you have it, but they dont expect a paid for book when you could download it for free and have either a PDF or a printed version

OK, until you are Part P registered, you will need to register jobs with Building Control, and your assessor will probably want to see paperwork to show legal compliance.

Nothing to say you can't use your own house for example works - CU change and test is always a good piece of work to show, so perhaps upgrading your CU to RCBOs is a possible. It is useful to have jobs in your own house to show as this means you and the assessor can mess about as much as you like testing ccts , safe isolation procedures, Zs (don't forget to disconnet main earth) etc etc.

they would be checking you have it, but they dont expect a paid for book when you could download it for free and have either a PDF or a printed version
 Good point Andy, as long as you can demonstarte access to doucments on-line, they will accept that these days, bar they like to see a hard copy of the on-site guide.

Good point Andy, as long as you can demonstarte access to doucments on-line, they will accept that these days, bar they like to see a hard copy of the on-site guide.
they can 'like to see a hard copy' of whatever they want, but since there isnt anything that specifically states that it must be a hard copy, then i couldnt care less what their opinion is

They went 🦇 💩 crazy when I showed them a "copy. " as it was a photocopy of the Regs!

"you can't have that, it's a copy!!"

yes, I know, and that is what you asked for a "copy"....THIS IS a COPY

"well that's not what it means!"

i do not give a flying 💩 about "what it means." I am not a mind reader

I eventually pulled out a proper version....but he was fuming. It was worth it for the giggle

They went 🦇 💩 crazy when I showed them a "copy. " as it was a photocopy of the Regs!

"you can't have that, it's a copy!!"

yes, I know, and that is what you asked for a "copy"....THIS IS a COPY

"well that's not what it means!"

i do not give a flying 💩 about "what it means." I am not a mind reader

I eventually pulled out a proper version....but he was fuming. It was worth it for the giggle

Wonder what they think of the tablet versions of BS 7671?

Wonder what they think of the tablet versions of BS 7671?

Is that the moody pdf floating about? :lol:

back OT, I used to like showing them outdoor stuff like new light circuits, sheds, sockets etc, shows them that you can dress cables, make off glands, use appropriate containment / accessories and also easier for testing.

A big DB provokes too many questions IMO.

OK, until you are Part P registered, you will need to register jobs with Building Control, and your assessor will probably want to see paperwork to show legal compliance.

Nothing to say you can't use your own house for example works - CU change and test is always a good piece of work to show, so perhaps upgrading your CU to RCBOs is a possible. It is useful to have jobs in your own house to show as this means you and the assessor can mess about as much as you like testing ccts , safe isolation procedures, Zs (don't forget to disconnet main earth) etc etc.
I think you made up my mind for me binky seems like easiest and bedt bet. I can change the CU to new 18th ed one provide new test certs for it and easily demonstrate any testing he wants to see. Thanks mate

It might be worth asking the scheme of choice before you go paying out BC fees, I say this as there used to be a time frame with which a job should be registered for part p, so you may well be able to do a job and register it once scam has accepted your membership?? Don’t know if this has changed as out of that particular loop these days.