GU10 Advice Sought

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

says-les

Reaction score
Hello

I was asked to find out why a purchased replacement lamp for a GU10 downlighter did not work.

When I delved into the scenario, it turned out the guy had bought a mains led lamp with mushroom

style pins whereas the existing one was a 12V plain pin style.

Should I advise him to get his spark to convert to mains type.

On inspection, there was a burn spot on the side of the transformer case.

Are 12Volt led style GU10's not so popular now?

GU10's are 230v,  MR16's are 12v. I suspect you are referring to a 50mm diameter spot lamp. MR16 connectors are prone to failure over time, but replacement connectors can be purchased. There are certain applications where 230v lamps are not allowed, as such 12v fittings and lamps are used. Some people (often daft builders) did have a habit of fitting 12v spot lamps in situations where 230v would have been perfectly acceptable. However there is nothing stopping anyone fitting 12v lamps wherever they want to. Both GU10 and MR16 style fittings are readily available in LED lamps. 

Doc H. 

Last edited by a moderator:
as above, GU10 are 230v, MR16 are 12v. however some chinse ****e do mix the voltages, which is probably where he got the new lamp from....

LED replacements for both voltages are easily available, although if the transformer is melted then itll need replaced. alternatively you could change it to 230v GU10 (some lights can be done, some cant) and use a GU10 LED

He was sold the GU10 lampholder with the GU10 lamp by the supplier and he had connected it into the 12V flex.  When it didn't light he brought it to me for advice.

I explained that he should have removed the transformer unit and connected it to the mains cable.  He hadn't known there was a transformer unit further back in the loft.

I advised him to approach his landlord and request the lights be converted to mains led. I haven't heard from him since this (just two days ago).

He was sold the GU10 lampholder with the GU10 lamp by the supplier and he had connected it into the 12V flex.
he's probably the type of person who didnt turn the MCB off either because there was no light coming fromt he bulb so it must be off. probably a good thing he didnt try to fit it to the mains side...