Remedials for class 2 faults after inspection - Coventry

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
First post for a long time as I've retired! Thoroughly recommend it!

My Son - who lives in Coventry has had a report done on a charity building. In fairness the  report is very good - but the cost for remedials is just plain offensive. Quoted to fix everything - no differentiation between class 2 and class 3 faults. Whole consumer units replaced due to IP rating on top. Examples of pricing - consumer unit with 6 RCBOs  to replace existing one with single RCD - £850! I would reckon £120 tops for the CU and tails if necessary and 5 - 6 hours to fit and test. God knows what the hourly rate is! Ceiling lights apparently have exposed connections in the cavity - I'm guessing this is someone using a choc block and taping it up - his solution is to fit new lights at £70.00 a pop. Lots more - all vastly overpriced in my opinion. For the whole set of buildings this came in at £17000 - and that is cost to a charity!

Is there anyone on here in the Coventry area who would be happy to do quote to do the class 2 remedials at a realistic price? 

Thanks

With an EICR suggesting remedials, its best not to use the company that did the EICR ........... so more quotes is the thing to do and / or seek a 2nd opinion for the report you have

C1 & C2 codes need addressing

C3 codes can be ignored as you suggest, unless your building insurance state otherwise.

As for the replace CU price with RCBO's - I think your estimate of the parts is a bit light , but the total sounds a bit of a rip off

Hope this helps

First post for a long time as I've retired! T
No excuse  !!!     :C   

Ignore their quote  & get a few more in .

Sounds well over the top to me .  Jeez  !!!   What did they charge for the EICR??        Coventry is  about 25 miles away but I only do 2 days a week tops .

Last edited by a moderator:
First post for a long time as I've retired! Thoroughly recommend it!

Welcome back Davetheglitz, as you say those prices sound as though someone is trying to do even more than just pull a fast one! Verging into Cowboy territory in my opinion, have you asked you son to check for hoof prints & horse manure outside? Wish I could offer more help but I can't.  But back to more serious business, didn't you do some band or music stuff? Have you pursued this even more since retirement and if so is it going well?

Doc H.  

I saw the avatar and thought someone had dug up an old post.  :^O

CU change would be a doddle, the ccts have already been tested so it's just a new board and a couple of hours work.  Choco block on lights - change to small JBs, no need to change the lighs.